Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 wks pregnant, first time - what questions should I ask midwife at first appt?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 286 Total Views

I just found out yesterday I am about 5 wks and have a first appointment with a midwife on 10/31. She does home births. I think I can give her pretty accurate info about when we conceived etc. I wondered if others have had their first appointments out of the way and had ideas about what to ask? Or if others are planning on a home birth and have suggestions re: important questions?

Also, we are trying to deciide when to tell people. Some of those close to us have an idea that we were planning on TTC soon. I was thinking about only telling parents and best friend initially, maybe until I am more like 8 wks.

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:00 AM

It is totally up to you when you want to reveal the great news.  I waited until the first ultrasound when I saw the heartbeat before I revealed.  I would definitely ask what prenatals she would recommend, if she has other people in her practice, how after hour calls are handled and if you have any urgent questions, will you have to call an answering service first or does someone in the practice have a cell phone where you can reach someone directly.  My first OB had an answering service and you would have to explain your situation to the operator, she would call the Dr. and either the Dr. would call back or the operator would relay information to me.  Sometimes you had to wait a while for a call back.  I switched OB's and really liked being able to call directly to a Dr. or midwife and not a stranger who has no medical knowledge. 

Jot down anything else that comes to mind.  I always went to my Dr.'s appts with at least 3 or 4 new questions that just popped in my head. 

Hannahsmommy816
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I had a MW at the hospital......I would ask how often I would see her, what happens in any cases of emergencies, what to expect when she attends the birth.

i waited until i was around 9ish weeks to tell ppl w/dd3 but with my other 2 we told right away

wandep
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Congrats! I can't remember when we told everyone. I think we waited a bit.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

First of all, congratulations!

Secondly, when to tell others is entirely up to you. My DH and I wanted to wait until after we told our parents before we told everyone else - but...that wasn't going to be until I was about 10 weeks along and I HAD to tell someone, so DH and I both called our best friends and told them the day we found out :)

And finally, I can't tell you what questions to ask, but I'd like to recommend writing questions down as you think of them. I know most phones have a memo pad now, and if yours does, then all you need is your phone. Otherwise, bring a notebook and pen with you wherever you go. That way, when a question pops up in your mind, you can write it down immediately and then remember to ask when you get to your appointment. That was my big problem the first few weeks. I'd think of questions and think to myself, "I'll ask at the next appointment" but then by the time that appointment came, I had forgotten. Once I finally realized I should write them down, I was able to remember everything :)

Hottmomma607
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Congrats! Make a list if things you may need/want know! Totally up to you&your DH!
Mznaye
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Congratulations
Mznaye
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell everyone when you feel comfortable
Spring.Mom
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Oh I wish I would have though out how to tell people. ( I wish I would have posted a picture of baby booties on fb and seen how long it would have taken for people to catch on) but I was to excited and blabbed it when I found out. But tell people when you are ready!

I did a hospital birth with ob so I can't tell you there. 

Daringg8ly
by New Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I need to start telling people (beginning with parents and parents-in-law) because right now I almost feel like it isn't real!! My partner feels the same way, it's like a surreal dream. I think telling people will be important to me to process this and make it feel real.

SophiaKsMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I say tell people when your comfortable.

With my first I told right away.My mom helped me bake and decorate baby duck cookies. I spelled Baby for my Grandma. My second I only told my dh, mom and grandma. Then I told the rest of my family at Christmas, only after my aunt announced my cousins pregnancy I was about 3 months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)