Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Doctor told me I am overweight and I need to lose weight, But i keep gaining it and are diet pills safe while breastfeeding??

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:22 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 270 Total Views

I am not taking any diet pills, nor have I ever taken any. But I was just wondering if it was ok. I was talking about weight loss and one said they took diet pills while breastfeeding. She said she noticed no changes in her baby which is now almost 9 months. 

The topic came up because I was told by my doctor that I am overweight and I need to lose weight. He said that my baby is 10 months old already and there is no reason that I should have that much belly fat. 

I still breastfeed and instead of losing the weight I have been gaining. After birth I weighed in at 150, which was 10 lbs over pre pregnancy weight. now at 10 months post pregnancy I am about 161 but seems like it is going up.

I had lab work done to see if it may be my thyroid or anything else but I am healthy. 

I do walk a lot daily, drink lots of water, eat healthy and good on proprotions. But the weight just keeps piling on.

So just wondering what ways work to lose the weight.

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
izzy520
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:27 AM
I would avoid diet pills in general. it's all water weight. as soon as you take them and stop the weight comes right back on. just because your friend doesn't notice any changes in their baby doesn't make her the guinea pig. I wouldn't be gambling my babies health with wanting to be thinner. i have a 5 month old and I am so cautious about what goes in my body because god forbid if there was ever an issue like ADHD or something I would be constantly questioning things like "did I not eat the proper things? did I work too many hours when I was pregnant and over do it?" it sounds silly but the first year hold off if your breastfeeding. plus your milk supply could crash since you need calories to produce. I know if I don't eat something sweet every so often I feel like I'm going to faint. good luck girl!
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:38 AM

I wouldn't do it.  If you are planning to go to a year, then its just 2 months.  I would rather try to eat as healthy as possible and try to get in some extra exercise.  Both of these would be better for you and the baby.    I would drink a glass of water before I eat so I don't overeat.  I learned about portion control and watch my carbs.  At dinner, I can have 2/3 cups of rice, a protein and veggies.  Before I would eat more carbs and not as many veggies.  If I'm still hungry I try to wait 10 minutes and see if I'm still hungry and normally I'm not.  Hopefully this helps.

redrose_12
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:35 AM
I don't want to take any diet pills I want some help on helping me lose the weight. Because nothing I'm doing is working. I would like to go to the gym but until she's 1 that's not an option.
But yeah I don't want to do anything that may cause any illness in my lil lady.
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:53 AM
You may not be eating enough. And there are plenty of work outs on YouTube that you can do at home. No need for a gym to work out. Since you are breastfeeding and walking you are actually burning a lot of calories but if your boy eating enough your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto the weight.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM
This this this!!
You burn atleast 500 calories a day just by nursing, and if you're not taking in enough calories after burning so many, your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto any fat it can.
And no I wouldn't take diet pills, they're just not healthy in general, breastfeeding or not. :)

Quoting KelliansMom:

You may not be eating enough. And there are plenty of work outs on YouTube that you can do at home. No need for a gym to work out. Since you are breastfeeding and walking you are actually burning a lot of calories but if your boy eating enough your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto the weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Join the healthy weight loss group on here ,I'm in there, they are great women and can give you your BMR and really help you on your weight loss journey :)
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM

not sure about those pills, but i would avoid them.

track your food/exercise in myfitnesspal.com or the app....it has helped me!

wandep
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I have been doing weight watchers. I also do gluten dairy and corn free. I've lost 34 lbs with this. It will come off slow but that is the best way to loose weight. WW is a lifestyle change and not a diet. The reason I do gluten dairy and corn free is I have an auto immune disease. I would check with your doctor about WW and see if you can do that. It's a great program.

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Ww has a version for breastfeeding moms I believe :).

Quoting wandep:

I have been doing weight watchers. I also do gluten dairy and corn free. I've lost 34 lbs with this. It will come off slow but that is the best way to loose weight. WW is a lifestyle change and not a diet. The reason I do gluten dairy and corn free is I have an auto immune disease. I would check with your doctor about WW and see if you can do that. It's a great program.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Keep a food journal. I would not risk diet pills while breast feeding

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement