Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Feed Your Baby, Feed Yourself

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 48 Replies
  • 75365 Total Views

New parents put a lot of thought and effort into how to care for their newborn, but they don't always spend as much time caring for themselves. Sure, a certain amount of selflessness comes with the territory, but it's also worth remembering--especially during those crazy early days--the rule of airplane oxygen masks: you need to take care of yourself so you're able to take care of your child. At the very basic level, this means don't forget to EAT.

"It takes milk to make milk," my mother told me on the day I brought my first baby home from the hospital, and even though I suspect that equation isn't literally true, the message was that I should make sure I'm supporting my body in a way that will help support my baby. I was lucky to have my mom stay with us for the first two weeks of my son's life, and one of the most helpful things she did was cook our meals. The best way I can explain her role was that she took care of us so we could focus on taking care of the baby. Without her help, I'm not sure what we would have done. I hadn't prepared any freezer meals, and we don't have that many options for food delivery. We didn't have a community of local friends bringing by casseroles and lasagna. Without my mom, I probably would have sent my husband out for fast food and/or rummaged through the pantry for hopefully non-expired canned goods. Creamed corn, anyone?

I'm curious what others have done, particularly if you didn't have a helpful family member staying with you. Did you prepare freezer meals ahead of time like some sort of supermom? Did you survive on fast food, take-out, and delivery? (Confession: On the way home from the hospital with my second son, we stopped at Chipotle.) Did friends and family bring you food according to a detailed spreadsheet schedule? Did you just go on cooking as much as usual? Did you survive on creamed corn?   

What/How did you eat during those first few days (or weeks) after bringing the baby home?

Image © iStock.com/joebelanger

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM

We didn't prepare ahead of time.  Both of my babies came early, but my MIL would bring us soup and food, my parents came down and my dad cooked for me for a week.  lol  The rest of the time, we cooked as we went along.

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:31 PM

My husband was really awesome those first few weeks and did all the cooking  :)

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM

My mom and dad were in town for her first week home, so they bought dinner for all of us each night they were here. Usually it was Subway, but I distinctly remember them getting Chinese food one night that DH wasn't home (he doesn't like Chinese food).

For breakfast, I usually ate a piece of fruit, and for lunch it was most often a pb&j sandwich.

momofsixangels
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I ate what my dh made.He cooked the first week or so

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I made sure I drank plenty of water, but do admit I had some trouble remembering to eat when we first came home from the hospital. I would seriously just forget until the day was over that I didn't eat all day. I was too busy just taking care of dd :/.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Three meals a day and maybe a snack or two. I figured out how to do it. It was easier with my girls since I had my husband who helped a lot. With my son I was on my own

othermom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:49 AM

With my third, my husband helped out a lot the first day when I got home, after that I was back to doing most the stuff although he did cook more.  I figured out how to feed the baby while eating. With my middle I breast fed the first few months so could feed her and eat at the same time pretty easy

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM

My husband would cook easy meals or we'd have a tv dinner. My baby had colic and acid reflux so I was always holding him to comfort him so I couldn't cook! I was too scared id burn him cooking with him in the moby.

Mznaye
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM
My mom cooked for me since I went to her house after delivery.
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:47 AM
I don't remember? LOL My mom made sure I ate first baby,I was at home. But I usually wasn't very hungry after I gave birth. Last 2 times DH's squadron gave us meals.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement