Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

How do you soothe your teething baby?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM
  • 91 Replies
  • 24014 Total Views
1 mom liked this

As new parents, it's often hard to know what to expect with your little bundles of joy. With teething symptoms specifically, you want to do everything in your power to make sure your baby is comfortable. 

Tell us...How do you soothe your teething baby?

We're excited to hear from you!

Sincerely,

The Cafemom Team

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
Lilroo424
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

If she seems uncomfortable while teething I freeze a banana, or halved grapes for her to chew on. An ice cold wash cloth works as well. I freeze different fruits and put them in her teether. I also use Baby OrajelTM at night or on the go.

Baby OrajelTM works great. I like the naturals and the bed time solution. I can tell it works because she isn't fussy and she smacks her lips together as if she can feel a difference in her mouth. Of course, with anything I give her I tried a little in my mouth too, and although I'm not in pain, I can imagine it helps because it made my mouth slightly numb.

Baby OrajelTM Naturals has been my go to this month. She is 9 months next week and teething like crazy. I can even send it to day care since its over the counter. I keep one at school, one by the bed and one in the diaper bag at all times. She has slept much better since we started using it. It definitely brings her relief.

incogNinja
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Mobile Photo

I have tried a variety of things in the past to soothe a distraught teething baby. Toys with lots of texture , the freezer teethers, cold rag, and of course baby orajel. This is my 5th lo to use baby orajel but the first time I've had the Naturals. When normal methods don't work and they really seem to be in pain I have always relied on a little bit of baby orajel to help calm them down. Works like a charm.
JamieBue38
by New Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM

1. I have a feeder that I put ice cubes in, or I chill some teething toys for DD to chew on. DD isn't really a whiner when she's teething, but you can tell she's uncomfortable.

2. It's nice to use the oragel to rub on her gums, I can tell it works pretty quickly because DD looks at me like she's got a funny feeling in her mouth.

3. It definitely relieves her for a short period of time. Not all day of course, but it's easy to give her more when she needs it.

Roomfor1more
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:47 AM
I've tried many things over the years with teething babies...from toys to chilled wash clothes. When it gets bad I use Motrin. I am getting my little guy an amber necklace to try out.

The Orajel naturals did seem to help with his discomfort, however he hated the taste of it and/or the feeling of it in his mouth. He gagged on the taste and I ended up wiping it off with a wet cloth. I tasted it and didn't like the taste of it either.

Thanks Cafemom, but this is one product I wouldn't buy again personally but I gave it to a friend and she and her baby love it.
lasombrs
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:17 AM
One of my favorite ways to help my daughter is to use the cold teething toys we have. Ice cubes in a little mesh bag so she can't choke is best for her back teeth. Those seem to be the worst pain wise for her.

I couldn't find much of a difference in pain management between the naturals and regular baby orajel. We had the regular in our home already. It does seem to help with the discomfort. Our daughter was never thrilled with the application. Not sure if that's a sensory issue or the taste of it. I also didn't seem to last a long between applications as I expected.

I think that overall the orajel naturals did help my daughter with her discomfort of getting in her back teeth. She also had surgery on her front teeth during this time. The orajel seemed to help a lot with the pain from having her mouth kept open and her gums from the procedure. Orajel is all we used for her after the surgery and it kept her happy enough that we did not need other stronger OTC meds.

I am mobile right now but I will come back and update from a desk top with a photo
JKuney
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Ha! I wish I had some ideas on how to ease discomfort. We did ok with oldest DD, but our youngest is having some issues :( We haven enjoyed using the gel. I like it better than any other because it doesn't have all of the extra stuff in it. The only thing is I haven't been able to figre out is the teething tablets haha! I never figured them out with my oldest either. The Orajet naturals seems to ease discomfort quite well!

incogNinja
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I have tried a variety of things in the past to soothe a distraught teething baby. Toys with lots of texture , the freezer teethers, cold rag, and of course baby orajel. This is my 5th lo to use baby orajel but the first time I've had the Naturals. When normal methods don't work and they really seem to be in pain I have always relied on a little bit of baby orajel to help calm them down. Works like a charm.
miasmommy21407
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM
In the past when my children were teething, I used cold wash clothes, gum massages and chilled, textured toys as well as another brand's teething relief tablets. This was my first time to both purchase Orajel brand baby products and a teething gel. In the past we've relied on tablets. My infant has been drooling a lot but hasn't shown any signs of teething pain so I tried them out on my 1 year old who is currently cutting 4 teeth!! She didn't seem to mind the taste of the tablets but did ask for a drink afterwards. I think it might of have been the texture. Clearly they didn't bother her too much because she asked if she could have more, lol. The tablets did seem to help and work as well as the other brand we've been using. Later I tried the gel. I was worried about it possibly numbing her gag reflexes since our pediatrician had warned me years ago about that possibility with gel type teething relievers but she didn't seem to have any problems. It seemed to work very quickly and she didn't complain about her mouth hurting for over an hour. We are pretty pleased with the orajel naturals products so far. I'm actually really glad I got the chance to try them because I'm not sure that I would have purchased them otherwise. This morning we used the tablets again and she's running around as happy as can be! :)

Mommy to Mia 6, Dason 4, Angel Baby who left for heaven 1-6-11, Raegan 1 and Gabriel born August 2013.  

Gingerbell.RN
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1. We massage the gums and used to give tylenol for our older two kiddos. We also give popsicles and teething rings.

2. My 18 month old has one tooth in the back coming in that has really been bugging him. He is miserable...

At first he hated the taste. Then he hated how it felt in his mouth. After the initial shock he actually seemed to feel better.

I loved how the gel was easy to apply. Although... he doesn't willingly come up for application.

3. I do think it helps with teething pain. We use it at bedtime and before nap time mostly. We still are using the teething rings and Popsicles though.

It is a good product to have on hand. I'm glad we had the chance to participate in this influencer. We found a product that we might have never tried.
Lilroo424
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

If she seems uncomfortable while teething I freeze a banana, or halved grapes for her to chew on. An ice cold wash cloth works as well. I freeze different fruits and put them in her teether. I also use Baby OrajelTM at night or on the go.

Baby OrajelTM works great. I like the naturals and the bed time solution. I can tell it works because she isn't fussy and she smacks her lips together as if she can feel a difference in her mouth. Of course, with anything I give her I tried a little in my mouth too, and although I'm not in pain, I can imagine it helps because it made my mouth slightly numb.

Baby OrajelTM Naturals has been my go to this month. She is 9 months next week and teething like crazy. I can even send it to day care since its over the counter. I keep one at school, one by the bed and one in the diaper bag at all times. She has slept much better since we started using it. It definitely brings her relief.

steph.sublette
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM

•1.     Do you have any tips on how to ease teething discomfort?

Orajel naturals gel, frozen chewy rings, teething necklaces, amber necklace,  breast milk Popsicle (i the mesh food thingy)

•2.     How has your experience with Baby OrajelTM Naturals been? Tell us about your baby's positive experience with this product.

We absolutely go to orajel naturals gel to relieve his pain. We lost it the other day and frantically searched for it for over an hour, once we found it and applied it he instantly seemed calmer and happier.

•3.     Does/did Baby OrajelTM Naturals ease your baby's teething discomfort?

Absolutely. I was honestly skeptical at first, but after trying so many other methods, the orajel has only been the tried and true pain reliever.

me-n-mygirls
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM
, This is my 5th child. I've always used orajel when it got to the point of nothing helps.

over the years I've tried cold things, tether toys, texture toys, hard toys so they can apply the pressure, my hand/ finger, binks are great chew toys as well, bath toys work great too.

It seems to numb the gums enough and bring some relief, but the taste and the faces I get when giving it to them gives mommy a giggle and sometimes the siblings as well.

we have had orajel in our house since my oldest was teething, and she is 11 years today! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement