Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Parenting Milestones

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM
  • 51 Replies
  • 33955 Total Views

We often talk a lot about baby's milestones. Those awesome and picture worthy moments when our babies take their first steps or have their first plate of spaghetti.  Then there are some that are not as picture worthy like the "up all night with a teething baby" milestone.  From baby's first smile to potty training there are so many giant leaps in development happening with your baby. It's really amazing to watch, right?

But what about milestones for parents? You know, like just getting through that first night? Sleeping with one eye open and watching baby breathe is a rite of passage for those first few weeks.  Or  what about when you find that perfect combination of swaying, patting and humming that calms your unique baby and stops the crying? In our house it was the Tiger in a Tree hold with a quick sway and pats to the bottom. Do you remember when YOU slept through the night for the first time after baby? 

What about baby's first real sickness? Remember that? I sure do. The very first time my baby was very sick he was only 4 months old and had a very high fever. I don't think I slept for 2 days. I wondered if I was doing things right at all. And I was afraid for my baby in a way I had no idea existed before seeing him so sick. I know you know what I mean. But we got through it and I was so relieved. Surviving that first big illness was a parenting milestone for sure. I learned so much from it.

One of my favorite parenting milestones was getting to that place of comfort as a new parent to actually leave baby with a trusted friend for a little bit to go on a date with the husband. Yeah sure, we were only gone for an hour before we got "The Call" but that was OK. We took baby steps (see what I did there?) at separation and now with the kids bigger we enjoy stress-free separations.

Now what about you? What are some of the parenting milestones that you remember from that first year? 

image © iStock/ PonyWang

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Finally mastering the ability to respond calmly when he fell down, instead of panicking right away!

Heather2001
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Finding foods my baby liked and wouldn't spit out, getting past those first several weeks of super-painful nursing and coming to enjoy it, realizing and coming to terms with my own parenting skills and not allowing others to make me doubt myself.

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I always feel on top of the world when they turn one.  I feel like I survived the first year successfully. 

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I agree about the super-painful nursing weeks!!

Quoting Heather2001:

Finding foods my baby liked and wouldn't spit out, getting past those first several weeks of super-painful nursing and coming to enjoy it, realizing and coming to terms with my own parenting skills and not allowing others to make me doubt myself.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Me too lol.

Quoting meam4444:

I always feel on top of the world when they turn one.  I feel like I survived the first year successfully. 

sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Exactly

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Me too lol.

Quoting meam4444:

Sisteract
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM
2 moms liked this

The first year is really one of the easiest-

Mother of 26 yo and 23 yo-

TerriC
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

For sure sleeping through the night.  I woke up not believeing that it happened!  LOL

Mrseoc
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Surviving colic. My baby had colic for the first 5 months (maybe more it all became a haze). My husband worked two jobs so i wouldnt see him all week most weeks. Every night, like clockwork starting at about 6pm, sometimes she waited till 630 she was inconsolable. Until sometimes as late as 1am, sometimes i could get her to nurse and sleep by around 11... no matter if she went to sleep early or not.. it was always SO HARD. I was all alone, with no one to call, trying to recover from giving birth to this child and ever night would end in tears, for both of us. Surviving those first few months was just such a milestone for me. I cant remember if there was a first night she didnt cry all night or if it tapered off but boy am i glad those days are gone. I feel like a champion when i talk with other ladies about those first few months.. i'm always met with "oh how aweful" or something on those lines.

goddess99
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

The 1st time we both slept through the night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement