Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Baby's First Word

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM
  • 45 Replies
  • 33053 Total Views

My first son was an early talker, and lucky me, his first word, at around nine months, was a resounding "Mama"! There's nothing quite like hearing your baby call you by name (especially before he learns to whine it into seventeen syllables), and even though it's silly, I totally felt special that "Mama" took such a place of honor in this most memorable of talking milestones. (His second word was "nana" for "banana," and after that he finally learned "Dada," to the relief of my husband.)

In contrast, my second son was an early walker (also at around nine months; I do not recommend this), and now at almost sixteen months he's only just starting to use a few words in context. He knows a handful of animal sounds, says "uh-oh" when he drops something, squeals "baaaaybeeee!" when he sees himself in the mirror, and runs full speed down the hall yelling "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" when my husband comes home from work. What's weird is that this also what he does when he sees me--yes, he yells "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" as he runs into my arms.

What gives, kid? I know he can say both "mmmm" and "aaahhh," but he doesn't seem to want to put them together, no matter how much I'd love to hear it. The good news is that even though he's calling me by the wrong name, he's still excited to see me, and he still gives the best squishy baby hugs, and so I do my best to take it in stride and consider it a good lesson in taking what I can get--a technique that will probably come in especially handy when my boys become teenagers and will only call my name when they want me to fix them a sandwich. 

Has your baby said his or her first word yet? If so, what was it? If not, what do you hope it will be?

Image © iStock.com/hidesy

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ambear72
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:52 PM

My oldest sons first word was Mama also,  I honestly cant remember what my other 3 kids first words were.

goddess99
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:10 PM

My dd's 1st word was moo. My dd was older before she was talking but she knew what a cow said.

sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM
My dd's first word was hi
strictmomhere
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Keyara's first word was nana
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
Kyrah's was momma
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
JJ was dada lok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
JP was no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sanj1213
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM

My sons first word was mama

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:17 PM

My son was a late talker... We would say his first word was probably "more". :) He's always been a eater!

bhwrn1
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:02 AM

My oldest said his first word around 18 months. Middle was about the same. LO was younger, around 14 months.

Oldest told the dog to sit.
Middle called the dog's name.
LO said my oldest's name! Not an easy feat since his name is Anthony! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement