Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Preparing for Winter: My Top Five

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies
  • 33010 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Here comes the chill and with it comes a whole new set of things to consider for your family. The air is cold and dry, the roads are icy and germs are being passed around like, well, germs. So as I've been preparing for old man winter, I noticed that certain things topped my list of needs. They are the things I always have ready to go when the cold weather, snow and ice start to threaten.

Here is my list.

1. Cool mist humidifier:  We live in a small cottage with electric heat. It gets DRY here. So in our bedrooms we run a cool mist humidifier religiously. It keeps us all from waking with dry nasal passages and is good for our respiratory system. A bonus is that it's good for the skin too!

2. Perfume and dye free lotion or balm: Again because of the dry air it is important to protect baby (and mama's!) delicate skin and soothe any chapping. We use Cetaphil.  Others rave about Aquaphor, CeraVa or Vanicream.  And still others swear by plain old Lubriderm. Find the one that works best for your family and keep a tub handy all winter long.

3. Prepare for middle of the night sickies: I double and triple check my stocked "Sick Kid Box". Keep all the things you may need in one place for dealing with a sick kid in the middle of the night- A reliable thermometer, fever reducer, washes cloths, eucalyptus rub, nasal aspirator or bulb syringe and saline spray. Having it all there at 3 A.M. with a feverish kid is such a relief. 

4. Prep the car: Bulky coats and bundle me-type infant seat accessories are unsafe to use in a car seat (Unless them come with your seat). So I prep our car by keeping warm blankets in the center between the two car seats. Heating the car before taking the kids out is key. If I can't do that, I put the kids coats on backwards so that they can be strapped into their seat first and the coat goes on backwards overtop.

5. Replace all of the filters:  Clean or replace the filters in your furnace, air purifiers and humidifiers. Clean out any floor vents or floor heating units before turning your furnace on and then again after it's been running a few days. This will greatly reduce risk respiratory problems from mold and dust for the entire family.

So now it's your turn! How do you prepare for the cold weather? What routines or things can you not live without when winter hits? 

image © iStock/ maximkabb

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Our routine is almost exactly the same... Just a few additions. We plastic wrap the windows of our house, and we bring at least a ton of pellets inside and get them all stacked up. :)

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Great tips!!  This reminds me that I need to buy new air purifiers and filters!  I can't live without a good warm vest for me.  It makes it easy to move my arms fast without having to deal with a bulky coat.

cassie241986
by Cassandra on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I have about the same routine expect we stock up on salt for the driveway. The driveway has a mild sloop and gets super slick.
Juniper53098
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I make sure I have oil of oregano and eucalyptus EO.  I make elderberry syrup.  I make sure I have echinacea.  We stock up on salt to make our driveway and front walk safe for moms and dads dropping off kids.

TerriC
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:41 AM

DH gets his snow blower out and ready, makes sure it will start.  He gets salt etc.  We put a few blankets, jackets, socks etc in the car just in case.

goddess99
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I buy a big tub of Eucerin creme, new think gloves, and make sure the humidifiers are ready to go.

jessicasmom1
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM

chapstick, cream , and filter changed 

elasmimi
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Lots of Vicks, both for chests and vaporizers. New gloves for everyone this year, and I was not quick enough with new coat for dd, so she is having to wear her "babyish" one from last year til the Lands End box gets here.

Leelee1008
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Clean the heater out. Get out all the cold weather clothes, wash coats, gloves & hats and stock up on meds 

Miranda1127
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Chimney check, heater tune up, insulated window dressings....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement