Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Teething Tools

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies
  • 22593 Total Views

My older son popped out his baby teeth with nary a whimper, but every time my second son starts to get a new little chomper, he turns into a major drama king, all moans and groans and overstated flailing of limbs and rending of garments. We have our medicinal helpers of choice, but I always feel like I should also give him something to chew on. The problem is I'm not sure what.

He doesn't really like the frozen rings we have that are made especially for teething (because of course not), and he usually ends up works his gums against, well...anything else--books, toys, his fingers, the sock he just pulled off his foot. As a parent, I've come to understand the importance of embracing the motto "Hey, whatever works," but I'd still rather he not chew on his dirty socks.

There are just so many teething items out there: frozen teethers, all-natural wooden teethers, teething toys, teething necklaces (for both baby and mom), teething biscuits, plastic coverings to keep babies from taking out their teething frustations on their crib rails...Women of a certain generation will say just throw the kid a frozen washcloth and let him figure it out, but so far that hasn't been the magic fix for us.

What did your babies teeth on?

Image © iStock.com/YsaL

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Juniper53098
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM

My babies teethed on their fingers and toys.  But, I also use an amber teething necklace (which is not chewed).

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Frozen rags, teething toys, fingers... Just about anything lol

RobynS
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM

DS had a teething doll. It's made of terry cloth and has little foam "cones" inside the hands, feet, and maybe the tip of the hat. You can get those wet and stick them in the freezer. He loved it!

RobynS
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM

My kids are long past the teething stage now, but I've just recently been reading about amber and all it's benefits!

Quoting Juniper53098:

My babies teethed on their fingers and toys.  But, I also use an amber teething necklace (which is not chewed).

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Now that is something that I haven't seen... But it seems like it would be a great idea.

Quoting RobynS:

DS had a teething doll. It's made of terry cloth and has little foam "cones" inside the hands, feet, and maybe the tip of the hat. You can get those wet and stick them in the freezer. He loved it!

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

We are big fans of frozen fruit in those little mesh feeders... Along with frozen teething rings.

RobynS
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

They look like this. Very soft and floppy. We had the light blue one. Love, love, loved it!

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Now that is something that I haven't seen... But it seems like it would be a great idea.

Quoting RobynS:

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Thanks! We are also well past the teething age, but it might be a nice gift for friends with little ones.

Quoting RobynS:

They look like this. Very soft and floppy. We had the light blue one. Love, love, loved it!

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting RobynS:

RobynS
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! That's a good point. I should keep that in mind. I also like to give long-sleeve bibs (what a mess-saver!) and onesie extenders. Those are things that made my life a lot easier that most mamas don't think to put on a registry (or maybe don't even know exist).

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Thanks! We are also well past the teething age, but it might be a nice gift for friends with little ones.

Quoting RobynS:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting RobynS:

la_bella_vita
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Teething toys and frozen rags

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN