Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

4mo sleep regression...help!!

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:22 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 280 Total Views
Got any advice on how to deal with sleep regression. My 4.5 mo son wakes every 1-2 hours. He was ebf but we've started solids once a day. I'm thinking it's not a hunger issue as sometimes when he wakes he just pacifies on my breast or will fall asleep in my arms. He's out until I lay him back in the crib. Sometimes he'll stay down a few minutes but pretty much after a 2-3 hour sleep after his bath/bedtime ritual I'm spending the rest of the night starting around 10 getting up to get him......over and over and over. The last week was a little better but he's still waking every 1-2 hours. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:47 AM
It's a normal phase. Or the new solids could be messing with his gut and he might be gassy. Just go with his flow and he will even out again in a few weeks. Teething also could be starting.
AlannaMaria
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM
My kids did this too. It is exhausting, but it only lasted about a week or two. If I couldn't get DS to get back to sleep and I was exhausted I would put him in his lamb cradle and swing and he would be right out. Hang in there!
arpazia
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Might be too young for solids... I know it's your baby and I'm not trying to be a witch. :)
Babies will nurse if they have tummy issues, they don't know what it is and confuse it for hunger, then it could just be a phase! It'll end, momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Really there's not much you can do but just wait it out.  It's very common for sleep regression to happen at this age.  Just keep a consistent bed time routine, when he wakes at night keep it quiet and dark, and hopefully he'll begin sleeping better again for you soon.

Did the sleep regression begin around the time you started feeding solids?  4 months is a little early for solids and it may be causing tummy troubles, and that may be part of the reason he's not sleeping as well.  Maybe stop the solids for a month or two and then try again.  Solids aren't recommended before 6 months anymore because most babies digestive tracks just aren't ready yet.

If it makes you feel any better, my daughter woke every two hours every night until she was 2!

Momma2013
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM

this. :) 

Quoting arpazia: Might be too young for solids... I know it's your baby and I'm not trying to be a witch. :)
Babies will nurse if they have tummy issues, they don't know what it is and confuse it for hunger, then it could just be a phase! It'll end, momma!

darciegenito
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

How long has that been going on? Maybe it's a growth spurt thing?

CaptNumo9
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM

It does sound like a phase. Sometimes I would just rub their back gently if I knew it wasn't time for feeding. Hugs to you mama, one day at a time.

celestegood
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:22 AM
It can be just a phase. Although, mine did that at six to nine months, and it was the start of months of it. They get separation anxiety, and wow, they get upset when they wake and you aren't right there holding them!
Hugs, hon. Also, its a bit early for solids. He might be getting an upset tummy because of the foods he's eating? Your milk is all he needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:22 AM
I have one better. My three year old just started sleeping through the night, and he's almost four next month! And he still wakes at least once.

Quoting cabrandy03:

Really there's not much you can do but just wait it out.  It's very common for sleep regression to happen at this age.  Just keep a consistent bed time routine, when he wakes at night keep it quiet and dark, and hopefully he'll begin sleeping better again for you soon.

Did the sleep regression begin around the time you started feeding solids?  4 months is a little early for solids and it may be causing tummy troubles, and that may be part of the reason he's not sleeping as well.  Maybe stop the solids for a month or two and then try again.  Solids aren't recommended before 6 months anymore because most babies digestive tracks just aren't ready yet.

If it makes you feel any better, my daughter woke every two hours every night until she was 2!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mznaye
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:26 AM
We didnt experience that. Good luck mama
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement