Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question of the day 2/14

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:33 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 337 Total Views

Have you filed your taxes yet???

Are you expecting a return?  If so, what do you plan to do with the money?

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM

We have not filed yet,  I need to work on getting it done this week.

We are expecting a little money back, we plan on using it as a deposit on a new rental house.

WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! My dad did our last week. We are expecting nice refunds from both the state and federal government. This is the first time I personally will be getting a good refund back since filing. My husband had gotten some pretty good refunds in the past. Some is going into savings. Some to buy things for baby like a new car seat, clothes, shoes (now that she is walking) and we are also going on a trip over Spring Break.

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Where are you going for your trip?

Quoting WILDCATGAL78:

Yes! My dad did our last week. We are expecting nice refunds from both the state and federal government. This is the first time I personally will be getting a good refund back since filing. My husband had gotten some pretty good refunds in the past. Some is going into savings. Some to buy things for baby like a new car seat, clothes, shoes (now that she is walking) and we are also going on a trip over Spring Break.

WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:46 PM

We are going to Memphis, TN to meet my mom and some other family members. She lives in Mississippi and I live in Kansas.

Quoting cabrandy03:

Where are you going for your trip?

Quoting WILDCATGAL78:

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM
We did ours but we have to mail them in efile wasn't working :( so it will take a whole to get them back. Most of it will go into savings and some will go to babies stuff.
Iowagrad2011
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:24 PM

We filed my SO but not mine because we were waiting to get his back because I owe taxes. I claimed one on both jobs I had last year and I guess ended up owing money both state and federal. Weird thing is 2012 I just worked at a daycare for minimum wage and got a little tax return and then this last year I am owing it makes no since.....So right now I hate taxes.

LoveMyBug2013
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Just an FYI, your taxes are withheld from your paycheck.  If you have the right amount of deductibles, you should either get or owe a tiny amount.  If you owe, it means not enough was withheld.  If you get a refund, it means too much was withheld and you essentially gave the government a free loan.

We have not done ours yet, but I also haven't received the paperwork from our accountant.  I'll have to check on that since I think all of our documents are uploaded.  DH handles taxes; I handle day-to-day finances.

SCL_HF
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Taxes are done and done. We are expecting quite a large return but it is allllll going to medical bills. Sheesh. :-/

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Bummer, at least they're getting taken care of though!

Quoting SCL_HF:

Taxes are done and done. We are expecting quite a large return but it is allllll going to medical bills. Sheesh. :-/

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I understand how taxes work.  We do claim the right amount of deductions but we're low enough income that we qualify for the earned income tax credit so we always get a couple thousand dollars back.

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

Just an FYI, your taxes are withheld from your paycheck.  If you have the right amount of deductibles, you should either get or owe a tiny amount.  If you owe, it means not enough was withheld.  If you get a refund, it means too much was withheld and you essentially gave the government a free loan.

We have not done ours yet, but I also haven't received the paperwork from our accountant.  I'll have to check on that since I think all of our documents are uploaded.  DH handles taxes; I handle day-to-day finances.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)