Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Baby's First Steps

Posted by on May. 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies
  • 1417 Total Views

Maybe you're the type of mother who remembers every little detail about your baby--like exactly how many pounds and ounces she weighed at her one-month well-baby check, and how many diapers you changed last Tuesday--or maybe you're the type who barely knows what day it is. Either way, chances are that both types of moms, and all of us in between, have one thing in common: We all remember our babies' first steps. It's part of belonging to the vast, timeless sorority of motherhood.

An infant learning to walk is natural and normal and something most of the world's babies will experience, so why do we make such a big deal out of something so common? Well, for one, we're mothers; it's our job to celebrate our children through their milestones. Two: It really changes who they are. Your baby is now a toddler, and learning to walk expands her boundaries and opens up her world--and probably increases your efforts at babyproofing to keep her out of trouble. Three: It's actually kind of amazing. Your baby! Walking! Like she's people! Who authorized this?!

I haven't yet met a mother who doesn't remember details from her baby's first steps. What do you remember about yours? When was it? Where? Do you remember what s/he was wearing? Was s/he trying to get a toy/a remote/the dog/a hug? Did you squeal or cry or clap or simply beam with motherly pride for the next seventy-two hours?

Tell us about your baby's first steps!  

Image © iStock/m-imagephotography

by on May. 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbbeysMom2013
by Nicole on May. 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM
She isn't walking yet, but is very close. She walks holding onto everything.
countrygirlkat
by on May. 21, 2014 at 10:01 AM

My oldest started walking at 10 months.  We were at home and he just stood up and started going and hasn't stopped since.  My middle son was 14 months and much more cautious.  He really need help getting brave enough to try it.  My youngest was 11 months and he loved to cruise around on furniture and one day he just let go and gave it a go and he did it. 

Miranda1127
by on May. 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I'm not the type to remember every detail. But I have most of the first written down

slw123
by on May. 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM

My daughter didn't walk on her own until after her first birthday.  She was perfectly content to crawl and scoot. My husband and I would sit on the floor close together and get her to take steps between the two of us, then it was on.

copperswifey
by Member on May. 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

My son took his first steps on his first birthday. Both my daughters were 9 months old when they took their first steps :) 

cabrandy03
by Brandy - Admin on May. 21, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Dd was about 10 months old.
la_bella_vita
by on May. 21, 2014 at 12:21 PM

They were very exciting, she was standing holding on the sofa and I was holding her favorite book, getting ready to read to her and then the next thing I know she got this huge grin and started walking towards me

jessicasmom1
by on May. 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM

she never crawled only would scoot. ... one day  at 11 months walked from across the room at her Great Memaws and has not stopped. I was a nervous wreck .

SCL_HF
by on May. 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

DS just stood up and started running at me! LOL 

Nighttiger
by Member on May. 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM
I remember every moment of ds1s first steps. We still have the toy he let go of. I'm excited to see ds2. He's getting so close!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN