Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gummy Grins

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies
  • 21115 Total Views

You had a baby a few months ago? Congratulations! You also have a new hobby: making your little one smile as often as possible.

Even the newest newborns can appear to smile a few days after birth (anyone remember the Jolie-Pitt twins on the cover of People?), and even though it's heartwarming to witness the particular way your little one's face changes when she makes a smile shape with her mouth--maybe flashing a crooked grin or a wrinkled nose or, be still my heart, a matching set of dimples--it's an entirely different experience when a baby smiles not because she's gassy but because she's elated. (Ten gold stars if you caught my lame joke there.)

When a baby smiles for the first time--really smiles (usually sometime around the three-month mark)--you just try to keep your heart from leaping out of your chest and doing a tap dance on the kitchen table, just try it. You can't do it, can you? Gummy newborn smiles are pretty much the best.

From an analytical standpoint, your baby's first smile is reassuring on many accounts. It's proof that she's growing up, she's interacting with the world, she's starting to learn the ways of our strange human species. From an emotional standpoint, though? She's showing you she likes you, she really like you! and what mom doesn't want to hear that as often as possible?

If your baby hasn't smiled yet, get ready. It'll knock your socks off.

Photo © iStock/WebSubstance

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I remember the first "real" smile I got.  It melted my heart.  Even the gassy smiles as newborns were awesome!  LOL

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM
It's been so long ago. Now I am watching my grand children go through the firsts.
Bubbie0809
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I really remember the first smile, it was magic. And I did everything I could to make him do it again.

sukainah
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Newborn smiles are the best!  I remember both of mine.  Precious moments!

Here's a cute thing I heard once, that brand-new baby that appears to be smiling actually is seeing an angel and they smile.  Don't know how true it is, but it's cuter than being gassy LOL

lalasmama2007
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Toothless baby smiles are the best!

Alexsi1
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I was so happy when he smiled for the first time. It totally melted my heart.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I loved it when my babies smiled for the first time!

SCL_HF
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM

DS smiled while he was still in the NICU. It was the most amazing freaking thing. All of the nurses about broke into tears. ;)

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM

First smiles are amazing! I will always cherish their first smiles and how wonderful it felt to see your little baby smile at you : )

KylesMom409
by Linnette - Admin on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Quoting TerriC:

I remember the first "real" smile I got.  It melted my heart.  Even the gassy smiles as newborns were awesome!  LOL

I remember DS's first smile too. :) and I agree about the gassy smiles! :) I also loved when DS smiled in his sleep. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)