Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Temperature for baby's room/clothing?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 196 Total Views

I am due to have my first in a few weeks.  I have been reading that babies generally need one more layer than adults because they are colder/need to be kept a bit warmer.  I am a naturally cold person and usually wear one more layer than everyone around me, so I figured I can just put baby in the same types of things that would make me comfortable.

However, I also read that too much heat is a SIDS risk and that the baby's room should be kept somewhere in the upper 60s F, I think.  Well, our house is usually kept at 75 because that's where I'm comfortable.  So which is it... does baby need to be kept as warm as me, or does she need to be kept much cooler?  I would freeze if it were in the 60s in here...

by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbbeysMom2013
by Nicole on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM
My dr told me to the house 65-72. I keep our temp at 69. I also struggled with the one more layer of clothing, as I am usually cold when no one else is. But my daughter was and is still swaddled, I put her in a light cotton pj and swaddle her.
melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:28 AM

I did not know about the temperature thing. We kept the house to what was comfortable for us. I think you should do what you feel comfortable doing and what seems to work for your kiddo.

eliz85
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

That was all confusing to me, also! What we ended up doing was keeping the house around 66-68 at night, then just kept trying things each night until we found the right amount of clothes for Charlotte. We found that, when she slept in our room (even though she was in her Rock 'N Play), she'd wake up sweaty hot unless she was only in a onsie.

When we moved her to her own room, she suddenly needed a fleece sleeper with a onsie underneath, or sometimes even a fleece sleepsack over it! Her room doesn't hold heat as well as ours.

It took awhile, but we finally figured it all out - I'm sure you will too. There are so many "rules" to follow when it comes to babies... we were really concerned with following them until Charlotte actually came. We felt a little guilty for not being able to follow all of them, then our doctor reminded us that we had a newborn and sometimes you just have to do whatever works! :)

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Quoting melliburger:

I did not know about the temperature thing. We kept the house to what was comfortable for us. I think you should do what you feel comfortable doing and what seems to work for your kiddo.

I didn't know about it either.
Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Apr. 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM

We kept his room around 68 and put him in a fleece sleeper then swaddled him.

mcmlx3v
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Thanks everyone!  I guess I will start by turning it a few degress colder at night and see how she does, and adjust from there.

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM

mne prefered to be cool actually, she'd fuss with the extra layer

MomToovey
by Marianne - Owner on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM

That's interesting. When I had my DD (5 years ago) I was told that they perceive heat/cold the same as we do. So if I felt I needed a sweater, it's likely the baby would need one too. If I felt shorts were necessary, no pants for baby, etc.

I would probably just find a lightweight swaddle blanket to use at night time instead of (or if it's really cold, including) pjs and call it a night.

Good luck!

SCL_HF
by Court on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:46 PM

same!

Quoting melliburger:

jenniferlee_12
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Same here.

Quoting melliburger:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement