Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Baby's First Steps

Posted by on May. 16, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies
  • 1307 Total Views

Seeing baby take those first steps is one of the most memorable milestones. My first baby was in daycare half-time when he started to develop walking skills.  I remember telling his caregivers to please not tell me if he took his first independent steps while he was there. The thought of him talking his first steps without me, pained my heart.  So I asked them to tell me everything but that.  Then one evening in the summer, just a few weeks after his first birthday, we went to a picnic with some friends and witnessed our baby's first three steps.  Yeah...I cried. I'm sappy like that.

Typically babies walk anywhere from 10 months to 18 months old. Some babies even take a little longer to get there. There is usually nothing to worry about if baby is a late walker. But there are some signs that could indicate a problem. If your baby isn't bearing any weight on his legs or seems to have muscle weakness, it might be a good idea to consult your pediatrician. But if your baby is making progress in other areas and meeting other milestones while slow to start walking, more than likely, they are just taking their time. They will get there.

The transition from crawling to cruising (walking around holding the furniture) to solo walking is an exciting time for both parents and babies. The world is opening up and getting bigger for both of you. Don't worry if your baby's progression to walking is a bit slower than any other children you have, or is slower than other babies you know of a similar age. As long as your baby is showing an interest in walking and cruising, then you shouldn't have any cause for concern.

Well...except for all the new baby-proofing that you need to do for when you have a walker on your hands.

Do you remember your child's first steps?  What age did your baby start walking? 

Image © iStock/Andrey_Kuzmin

by on May. 16, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina122952
by on May. 16, 2014 at 12:14 AM
My daughter is learning to crawl and she is 8 months
melliburger
by Melli on May. 16, 2014 at 12:35 AM

I don't! I"m so bad at remembered things.

elasmimi
by on May. 16, 2014 at 7:04 AM

My middle child started at 18 months, the other 2 were over a year old. Since my youngest would have been 44 this year, hard to remember.

jessicasmom1
by on May. 16, 2014 at 7:22 AM

11 months old I was a nervous wreck

mrswillie
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 7:22 AM
I really don't remember.
gee18
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 7:24 AM
She started taking steps as early as 8 months but started walking at 9 1/2 months
jazi1105
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM
My now 3.5 yr old daughter started walking at 10 mos. She had been running in her walker for over 5 months, so she knew what to do lol

I think my 6 month old will be walking around the same age, but likely a little closer to 12 mos.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on May. 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Yes!!! 11 months, 12 months, 14 months and 16 months for my children

jenniferlee_12
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I can't remember what age my son was,but my daughter walked at 9 months.

sanj1213
by on May. 16, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I do. He was 9 months

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement