Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Swaddling for Beginners

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:10 AM
  • 30 Replies
  • 2393 Total Views

My first baby did not like to be swaddled. My second one on the other hand, HAD to be swaddle. He literally could not sleep until he was in his tight little cotton cocoon. So what is a swaddle? It's the act of wrapping a newborn up in a receiving blanket so he looks like a mini burrito. And possibly the cutest burrito you've ever seen.

When you think about it, swaddling makes sense. Your newborn just spent nine very cozy months in the womb - warm, secure, and very snug. A swaddle helps recreate this feel and also diminishes the startle reflex that so many of them have. Often times it's this reflects that can wake a baby up. And if the baby isn't sleeping, no one is sleeping.

We never used a sleep sack, or any other product made specifically for swaddling. We just used a good old-fashioned cotton receiving blanket. It worked the best in our opinion, and it was always easy to wash and reuse.

Moms, what is your experience with swaddling a newborn? Does it work or not?

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:29 AM

My DH & I did this alot to our son when he was a baby.My DH seemed to do a tighter swaddler. 

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:31 AM
The term wasn't even around when my kids were born.
WillsMOM72
by Stephanie on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM
I can't get it tight enough so I quit trying after a week. My son did like it I think. He sleeps fine now even though we don't swaddle.
PennOhioBabe
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:50 AM
All of my kids hated it. They always found a way to break out and they were much happier that way :)
AbbeysMom2013
by Nicole - Admin on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:50 AM
My daughter is almost 13 months and we still swaddle. She gets out instantly when laid in her crib, but needs it initially to fall asleep. Kind of a pain at this age lol. I agree that the blunted work best. I had my grandma make some larger ones since they were so expensive.
goddess99
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I never did that.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Both of my kids loved to be swaddled. I became a champion swaddled very quickly.
cassie241986
by Cassandra on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Dd always hated been swaddled.
EbonySnow
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:26 AM

my dd loved it

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:38 AM

It worked for my kids when they were babies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)