Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Can Baby's Bad Milestones Be Good for You?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies
  • 7339 Total Views
1 mom liked this

After I had my first baby, I didn't leave the house alone with him for six whole months. I wasn't afraid of germs, and I wasn't hogging him all to myself, I was mostly just scared that he'd have a diaper blowout at the craft store or throw up all over me in the produce section of the supermarket and I would die right there of utter mortification.

At home, I felt pretty comfortable in my role as a new mom so long as I had all my trusty equipment and resources at my fingertips: bouncy seats and burp rags and snot suckers and extra diapers and wipes and clothes and, of course, the internet, to answer all my questions. I knew I couldn't pack all that into a bag for even a short outing, and the more I thought about all the millions of things that could go wrong "out there" with a baby, the more I felt my confidence fading away. This is how I ended up never leaving the house with an infant except on weekends, when we were accompanied by my husband, who was not only infinitely braver than I about this sort of thing but could also be employed to carry the giant bag of precautionary "what if" supplies I would pack for us.

Fast forward to when I had my second baby and it was--surprise!--no big deal to cart him all over town with me as soon as he was a few weeks old. What changed? What advice would I have given to myself the first time around? Three things:

1. You can't prepare for everything.
  2. Bad things will happen.
  3. You'll be okay.

I learned these lessons the hard way (diaper blowout? check! baby barf-fest? check!), but you know what? I'm glad I did. Living through the mortification taught me just that: that I could and would live through the mortification and everyone would be fine. It's kind of like getting that first scratch on a brand new car; once it happens, you can stop worrying about it happening. In fact, as it turned out, even the worst of the gross/messy/embarrassing baby milestones were never as horrible in reality as they were in my head, and knowing that made all the difference.

Okay, confession time: What public mishaps have you lived through with your baby?

Image © iStockphoto.com/mfphotography01

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbbeysMom2013
by Nicole on Jun. 4, 2014 at 2:01 AM
The only thing really was her blowing up at Olive Garden because I took a breadstick away due to attempting to eat the entire thing in one bite. And I wasn't really mortified, it happens. I really don't worry about what others may think, my concern is my daughter.
christina122952
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 2:47 AM
I have not had any mishaps yet
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:59 AM

We had a massive diaper blow out in a small restaurant with no changing table.  Thankfully my mom was there to help me get through it.  It was AWFUL!  Guess his digestive system just wasn't ready for beets...

Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:57 AM

A diaper blowout in checkout at a WalMart and I had no other outfit for him, just diapers cream and wipes. I had to buy him another outfit.

jenniferlee_12
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Hmmm....my son had some blow outs when he was a newborn.

jenniferlee_12
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Alexsi1:

A diaper blowout in checkout at a WalMart and I had no other outfit for him, just diapers cream and wipes. I had to buy him another outfit.

Mommy he just wanted a new outfit. Lol 

cassie241986
by Cassandra on Jun. 4, 2014 at 10:45 AM
I haven't had any yet.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Oh no!

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

We had a massive diaper blow out in a small restaurant with no changing table.  Thankfully my mom was there to help me get through it.  It was AWFUL!  Guess his digestive system just wasn't ready for beets...

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 4, 2014 at 5:03 PM
So did my son.

Quoting jenniferlee_12:

Hmmm....my son had some blow outs when he was a newborn.

splatz
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:46 PM

I can't think of anything of the top of my head. But after awhile you just sort of roll with the punches. Being a mom is surely never boring. :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement