Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

My Best Advice on Feeding Your Newborn

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies
  • 1586 Total Views

Newborn babies are so much more complicated than I thought they would be.  After growing in the perfectly safe environment with no irritants or foreign foods, baby is born and their instinct to eat is immediate.  Whether breastfeeding or bottle feeding, this can become a stressful time for both mama and baby.  Some babies latch right on without trouble, but some babies have a harder time learning the ropes of feeding. 

My second baby was born a pro but that wasn't the case with my first. It took me almost two weeks and a million tears from both of us for him to feed well.  When he couldn't latch, I pumped milk and tried just about every bottle on the market. We tried nipple shields, spoon feeding and droppers. I visited a lactation consultant. I went to a Le Leche League meeting and I cried on the phone to my friends.

Basically I was a mess.

Looking back, I wish that there were some things I knew before my first was born. I wish someone would have encouraged me to calm the heck down and gently remind me that everything would be ok.  I wish they would have told me over and over again that it was going to be OK.  Because of course, it did turn out OK.  Eventually he latched and learned how to nurse. If he hadn't, and I had to continue pumping milk and supplementing formula that would have been OK, too.  

But it sure was emotional and stressful those first few weeks.  

That first milestone for both mama and baby is just learning the basics of feeding for the very first time. It's exhilarating, exhausting, scary and wonderful all at once.  And the best advice I can give to any new mama is simple. Just feed the baby.  However that works for you, just feed the baby.

And breathe.

What advice do you have for getting through those first days at home with a newborn? What do wish someone had told you? 

Image © iStock/damircudic

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina122952
by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:15 AM
I wish someone told me about the sleepless night.
melliburger
by Melli on Jun. 13, 2014 at 2:12 AM
3 moms liked this

Just keep doing what you feel is right. Don't feel like a failure if you can't nurse and don't feel bad if you went straight to formula.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:13 AM

This is perfect advice. :)

Quoting melliburger:

Just keep doing what you feel is right. Don't feel like a failure if you can't nurse and don't feel bad if you went straight to formula.

johnny4ever
by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Rest when you can!

WillsMOM72
by Stephanie on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Sleep when the baby sleeps, housework can wait.
elasmimi
by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:35 AM

No one can really compare you for that much sleep deprivation, lol.

Quoting christina122952: I wish someone told me about the sleepless night.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:39 AM

I think breast feeding moms should be told it is a perssonal failure if they cannot solely bf. My 1st g-grandson latched on immediately, but the second just never got the hang of it. Found out later she had an aspiration issue, but by then my granddaughter was devasted, felt the baby didn't love her. Yes, it usually works out, but as long as your baby thrives and senses your love, you are ok.

Apr1l
by New Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Make friends with moma that have breastfed before so u can get helpful advice from them in times of trouble.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Take care of yourself. Stay nourished. Drink LOTS of water. Sleep when you can and take help when it's offered.

Having support when breastfeeding is critical, IMO. DH went to a breastfeeding class with me and he was super supportive. I also have a great friend who is a doula... she was there for me every step of the way! :)

Sisteract
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Take care of yourself so that you do not get sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement