Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Language Explosion

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM
  • 82 Replies
  • 1532 Total Views

Probably my favorite part of toddler development is the language explosion. Both times my kids went through it it caught me off guard, and oh, it's just the best to hear them working out the sounds and tones of language, even if you still have no idea what they're saying half the time.

If you've been through this already, you know exactly what I'm talking about: One day your baby knows a handful of words and the next he's got dozens and dozens and is suddenly parroting everything he hears. (Watch your mouths, mamas!)

I love this phase for a lot of reasons. I loved that my kids seemed less frustrated once they were able to communicate better. I loved seeing their brains make new connections so effortlessly. I especially loved when my kids said the most adorably ridiculous things (adorckulous?) with completely straight faces because they had no idea how silly they sounded.

I try to take lots of notes and videos of my kids during this phase because it's so wonderful and amazing and so, so short. I never want to forget that my toddler calls helicopters "grockalos" and he thinks a rocket is a "sockick." And even while the type-A mom in me sometimes itches to correct him, I also know that these things fix themselves soon enough so I'd better enjoy it while it lasts.

So, anyone else having "buhsketti" for dinner tonight?

What are your favorite toddler mispronunciations? Do you correct your toddler's language or do you cherish his/her adorable flubs for as long as they stick around?

Image © iStock.com/NI QIN

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:28 PM
My son tries to say Percy. Except it sounds like pussy. :(

melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:56 PM

He has trouble with some bigger words but he sounds adorable! We correct when necessary.

Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:52 AM
He tries to say socks and it comes out sucks :)

I love that he can talk better. It has made things some easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Bug learned two words this week:  "gree" and "gayghee"  (tree and baby). 

I definitely think his language explosion is coming up soon because he started repeating things and learned 2 words in a week when it has been 2 months since has has had a new word. 

kellynh
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Chrissy!!! ROTFLMAO!!I totally want a Keith video! ;) 

Quoting jobberwocky: My son tries to say Percy. Except it sounds like pussy. :(

kellynh
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM

I love all my toddlers language. He's been very verbal from the begining... A keynote speaker as an adult maybe... But... He definitely needs help with pronunciation! Lol

kellynh
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:20 AM

That is adorable! 

Quoting Alexsi1: He tries to say socks and it comes out sucks :) I love that he can talk better. It has made things some easier.

AbbeysMom2013
by Nicole on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:37 AM
I will be happy when my daughter can communicate more with me. For the moment she just whines and throws a fit, i know what she wants, but I would much rather have her verbally communicate.
jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:40 AM
I think there is one on Facebook somewhere.

Quoting kellynh:

Chrissy!!! ROTFLMAO!!I totally want a Keith video! ;) 

Quoting jobberwocky: My son tries to say Percy. Except it sounds like pussy. :(

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Cute!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement