Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

What would you have done if this was on your hotel door?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 2:38 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 345 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I saw this on FB earlier. A woman saw this on a door at the Marriott and took it down before the parents saw it. I would have been irate if I got a note like this.

I know etiquette is hard.
So is life.
Being a parent adds a new level to that.

A friend sent this to me. She was staying at a hotel and saw this on a stranger's door and ripped it off before they saw it. This stranger had kids that were apparently crying or screaming during the night.

I get it. NO ONE likes being next to crying kids in a hotel. Or a plane. Or a restaurant. Crying SUCKS.

But STOP for a second. Put yourselves in the parents' shoes. They're stressed-out. Their kid is upset. They're aggravated and also worried about everyone else around them. It sucks for EVERYONE involved. Parent-shaming after a night of a crying child is the last thing anyone needs.

Instead of being passive-aggressive or bitching, offer help. Offer a hand. It won't hurt. If they don't need it or won't accept it, great. You did what you could.

Just offer help instead of complaining. Coming from a place of being positive helps. A. Lot.

Just to be clear, this was about children and not loud sex.

by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, what if those people were staying in a hotel so they could go to a funeral?  Or because another one of their children was sick in a nearby hospital?  Yeah, it's annoying, but sometimes parents have no choice and are doing the best they can under the circumstances. 

I'm glad your friend was able to take it down before it stressed out the parents even more.

AbbeysMom2013
by Nicole on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be very upset. It's not like you want your kid to cry. I want to go on an overnight trip, but do is scared she will cry in a hotel. My response was, "then she cries". People that react that way are people who are not parents. 

If I was in a hotel and was bothered by the crying I would ask for my room to be changed, but I would never say anything to a parent. 

On our honeymoon there was a child in the room next to us one of the nights, I simply turned the tv on and went back to bed.

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:25 PM
2 moms liked this
My son doesn't sleep well in strange places. We've been that family with the screaming kid all night in the hotel room. It sucks! Not only are you sleep deprived and trying to get your tired child to sleep you are thinking what the people in the room next to you are thinking or hearing though the walls.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this
That's just not right. I would never do something like that!
cassie241986
by Cassandra on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I would never leave a note or say anything to parents of a crying child. If it bothered them they should have ask for there room to be changed.
melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

That's just so mean! Complain to your friend or spouse and leave it at that if the screaming is really bugging you.

Jeeze. It's not like the parents made their kid scream all night. I bet they wanted their kid to just calm down and be happy more than anyone else who hearing the kid screaming.

People just suck sometimes.

Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:52 AM

She said she wished she knew who left the note so she could track them down and give them a piece of her mind.

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

Wow, what if those people were staying in a hotel so they could go to a funeral?  Or because another one of their children was sick in a nearby hospital?  Yeah, it's annoying, but sometimes parents have no choice and are doing the best they can under the circumstances. 

I'm glad your friend was able to take it down before it stressed out the parents even more.

Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:54 AM

We've been on both ends as well. The first time DS stayed in a hotel he was 13 months old and it was rough the first night but we did everything we could to keep him calm. We never got nasty notes or anything like that though.

When we went to St. Louis in March we were next to a crying child on our second night. We just turned on our TV and fan in the room and left it at that.

Quoting AbbeysMom2013:

I would be very upset. It's not like you want your kid to cry. I want to go on an overnight trip, but do is scared she will cry in a hotel. My response was, "then she cries". People that react that way are people who are not parents. 

If I was in a hotel and was bothered by the crying I would ask for my room to be changed, but I would never say anything to a parent. 

On our honeymoon there was a child in the room next to us one of the nights, I simply turned the tv on and went back to bed.

Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM

My jaw about hit the floor when I read this. I simply couldn't believe it. People can be so cruel.

Quoting KylesMom409: That's just not right. I would never do something like that!

Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly! Or turn on the TV to drown it out, you know? People are so mean anymore.

Quoting cassie241986: I would never leave a note or say anything to parents of a crying child. If it bothered them they should have ask for there room to be changed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement