Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clothing Optional

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies
  • 788 Total Views

Confession: I think my husband would be a nudist if he could. If it were socially acceptable, that is. He just feels more comfortable without clothing. I, on the other hand, feel my best in sweatpants and this one particular old t-shirt that has been washed so many times it's practically threadbare. I would don that day and night if the moms at school drop-off wouldn't start whispering and offering me the names of their shrinks. 

Much to my dismay, our youngest daughter has inherited her father's clothing mentality (or lack thereof). My biggest challenge of the day is not getting her dressed in what I want her to wear (I gave that up long ago, for both kids), but to get her to put on clothing at all. She's also learned the word "commando"--thanks, Dad!--and wants to "go commando" under all of her clothing choices, when she does indeed make some.

Kids all go through naked stages, I know. Some toddlers tear off their shirts as soon as they walk in the door; some 2 year-olds think it's hilarious to run around the house in nothing but a cowboy hat. My oldest daughter Lucy had a good 6 months where she wanted nothing to do with clothes. But with Charlie, it's been a lifelong phase. We even had to start putting on her pajamas backward at night when she was about 18 months--she would tear them off before going to sleep! I'm tired of telling her to get dressed.

As I write this, Charlie just emerged from her room for the morning. Can you guess what she was wearing? Yeah, me too. When she went to bed she was wearing a diaper...guess I'll find that somewhere later.

Do you know what really bothers me about this? Not that she won't get dressed (although yes, after asking for the 17th time I nearly reach for the Bailey's when I refill my coffee), but that I don't feel comfortable enough to walk around in my birthday suit. I want her to have a healthy, positive body image and yet here I am, her biggest role model, covering up everything because my tummy never quite snapped back and those stretch mark scars are hideous.

When do we stop loving our body for what it can do and start hating it for how it looks? I just want my kids to retain their body confidence throughout their lives. I know that they won't always love everything about their appearance. But I've decided to let it go (let it gooooo, turn away and slam the dooooooor!) and allow Charlie to run around naked for as long as she pleases. This is one of those situations in which she has more to teach me than I have to teach her. Maybe someday I'll have the confidence to show a little more skin and feel a little more beautiful. 

Have your kids been through a naked stage? Did you want to pull your hair out or did you just laugh at their little naked bum?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sapphyre_rose
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Nope my daughter is still young and I think my son went through a stage but I am not sure.
cassie241986
by Cassandra on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:49 AM
Dds 2.5 and hasn't went threw that stage yet, I hope she skips it lol
KylesMom409
by Linnette - Admin on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:21 AM
DS never went through that stage and he's 7. There's times when he thinks it's funny to run through the house naked before his shower, though. LOL
elasmimi
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:27 AM

My almost 8 y/o is so unselfconscious, she hops out of the shower naked, and wanders around the house looking for things. I keep telling her she's too old to be doing this, but she just gives me this puzzled look, like WHY?

Leelee1008
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I was a terrible nudist when I was a kid LOL.. I have heard horror stories about how I would get outside naked at our old house....

My DD Is the nudest in our family..

virginiamama71
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM

my son did not go thru this.

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Eldest always hated to be naked still always has atleast gym shorts and tank top on. The youngest hates clothes and is only happy if he's naked. You put clothes on and if he's home they only last a few minutes even the diaper. Luckily in public he wears his clothes. :)
LaniBee
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Both of my girls went through a nudie phase. I think they were about 3. Thankfully, we were able to confine most of the flashing to the backyard pool! 

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:18 PM

My kids went through that stage!

kellynh
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Lol! My 2.5yo loves to be naked! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)