Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

How I Unintentionally Raised Picky Eaters

By RainyDayGal on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:00 AM

There was a short window in time when I bragged, "Ah, don't worry about it. My kids will eat anything." Our dinner hosts would fret and fuss about having hot dogs or mac and cheese on hand. "Nope," I insisted. "They'll have what we're having." And they would. They had grown up eating homemade purees of spinach and squash, apples and oats, fresh-cut fruits and veggies, organic dairy. I had prepared their palates from birth to accept any foods put into their mouths. Hadn't I?

Then a little age called two came along and with each second birthday, my daughters magically morphed into picky eaters. Healthy food by healthy food went out of their diet, and in went a bland, carb-based substitute. I thought that if this ever happened to my kids (certainly it wouldn't!) I would just say, "This is dinner. Take it or leave it." But that Jenny had not yet experienced the wrath of a hungry two year-old. Or the wrath of a hungry two year-old coupled with the wrath of a hungry three year-old. Mealtime became a nightmare.

What do you do when your kids won't eat healthy foods and they're cranky and screaming because they're starving? You just give them any damn food they'll eat. And I'm sure I'm not alone here. You must have an iron will if you hold out and let that little one starve until he eats an apple. I just never thought my world would be filled with sugary granola bars, fish crackers, freeze-dried fruit (somehow this form of fruit was ok), and mac n cheese.

Luckily the bell curve softens as they age, and right now we're at a point where they're still picky, but they also love fruits and veggies. They eat whole grain bread, whole milk yogurt with berries, spinach (raw!). And then their dad takes them out for ice cream.

Your kids will never turn out exactly how you want them to. Feeding will never go smoothly every single day. They won't always make healthy choices on their own. Your agenda is not their agenda. But that's the beautiful thing: they're these tiny, independent little beings, deciding what's for them and what's not. Watching them grow is a total blessing, even if feeding them is a total headache (sometimes).  

Is your child a picky eater? What do they eat or not eat? Do you have any tricks to sneak them healthier foods?

RainyDayGal About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • SophiaKsMom
  • by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:06 AM
  • My oldest dd is the hardest to feed. She will somethings I wouldn't think ahe would touch. She has been this way for a long time. Im going to have to start sneaking things in.

Dd 2 will eat almost anything you offer her.
  • Quote Reply
  • slw123
  • by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:51 AM
  • I was lucky, my kids never refused their food.  We all sat down and ate.  If they seemed to be reluctant, we would help them by making it fun.

• Quote Reply
  • mrswillie
  • by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:54 AM
  • We were they same way. I also made it a point to fix things I didn't like so I didn't limit them.

Quoting slw123:

I was lucky, my kids never refused their food.  We all sat down and ate.  If they seemed to be reluctant, we would help them by making it fun.

• Quote Reply
  • xomrs.chase
  • by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:56 AM
  • We don't offer it anymore. When it started to happen we *all* made better substitutes (before going vegan). "Oh you want goldfish? I'm sorry,we dont have aany. How about an apple?"

When we didn't have the food he wanted, he eventually gave up asking. It wasn't an overnight fix lol. Now he once again happily snacks on fruit and bell peppers, or cherry tomatoes if we have them! :)
  • Quote Reply
  • slw123
  • by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:57 AM
  • I do the same.  Like I don't like most seafood (but my husband does), so I make it for all of them and stink up the whole house, lol.   I am actually the picky eater in our house.  My kids will eat anything, even bordering on Bizarre Foods anything.

Quoting mrswillie: We were they same way. I also made it a point to fix things I didn't like so I didn't limit them.
    Quoting slw123:

I was lucky, my kids never refused their food.  We all sat down and ate.  If they seemed to be reluctant, we would help them by making it fun.

• Quote Reply
  • mrswillie
  • by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:41 AM
  • I eat crab and shrimp but no other seafood but dh and Ds both love fish. I also hate the smell of asparagus but they love them.

Quoting slw123:

I do the same.  Like I don't like most seafood (but my husband does), so I make it for all of them and stink up the whole house, lol.   I am actually the picky eater in our house.  My kids will eat anything, even bordering on Bizarre Foods anything.

Quoting mrswillie: We were they same way. I also made it a point to fix things I didn't like so I didn't limit them.

Quoting slw123:

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN