Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Self Soothers

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:55 AM
  • 40 Replies
  • 1211 Total Views

My first son was addicted to his pacifier. If we fed and changed him and he was still upset, it was the only thing that would calm him down. The sucking action soothed him. We joked that the paci was like his mute button. But every so often in the middle of the night, it would fall out and then you guested it - he would cry! We found ourselves getting up repeatedly to plop it back in.

Flash forward to my second baby, who is a self soother. He sucks on his two middle fingers instead of a pacifier. He never took a paci, he only used his fingers! In fact, I have an ultrasound pic of him doing just that. Sometimes I can hear him going to town on his fingers in the middle of the night.

It's just amazing how different two children can be, even at such an early age.

One thing is for sure, I had to break my first son of his pacifier so I'll have to do the same for my second son (only with his fingers)!

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:47 AM
DS sucked his thumb up until his 7th bday, which was 3 months ago. He said that as soon as he turned 7, he would stop. And he did, cold turkey!
Miranda1127
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:03 AM

thankfullyy I never had those issues. Good luck.

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Wow. That is great. I had trouble stopping. I think I was 12 when I finally stopped.

Quoting KylesMom409: DS sucked his thumb up until his 7th bday, which was 3 months ago. He said that as soon as he turned 7, he would stop. And he did, cold turkey!
mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Neither did I.

Quoting Miranda1127:

thankfullyy I never had those issues. Good luck.

Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I'm worried this may be my son. He sucks his thumb to go to sleep.

Quoting KylesMom409: DS sucked his thumb up until his 7th bday, which was 3 months ago. He said that as soon as he turned 7, he would stop. And he did, cold turkey!

delanna6two
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I had one that used the thumb for soothing but he grew out of it as he got older.

AbbeysMom2013
by Nicole on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Dd is addicted to the pacifier it will be hard to break.

I can imagine fingers will be harder to break, you can just remove them like a pacifier
virginiamama71
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM

My son has a paci but was easy for him to let it go.

Sisteract
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM

#1 addicted to paci

#2 addicted to thumb

Both fairly easy to break. The thumb would have been harder but he only suckled when he had his lovey- at 7, I took lovey away. He never balked or suckled his thumb again.

elasmimi
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Funny, none of my kids took a pacifer, sucked their thumbs, fingers, or anything. But the granddaughter I raised went from a paci to her thumb, is 34 years old and still sucks her thumb in her sleep, and her 7 y/o dd sucks her thumb too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement