Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

My first son was addicted to his pacifier. If we fed and changed him and he was still upset, it was the only thing that would calm him down. The sucking action soothed him. We joked that the paci was like his mute button. But every so often in the middle of the night, it would fall out and then you guested it - he would cry! We found ourselves getting up repeatedly to plop it back in.

Flash forward to my second baby, who is a self soother. He sucks on his two middle fingers instead of a pacifier. He never took a paci, he only used his fingers! In fact, I have an ultrasound pic of him doing just that. Sometimes I can hear him going to town on his fingers in the middle of the night.

It's just amazing how different two children can be, even at such an early age.

One thing is for sure, I had to break my first son of his pacifier so I'll have to do the same for my second son (only with his fingers)!

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:55 AM
Replies (31-40):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:07 PM

No paci's or thumb suckers oddly enough 

aneela
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:22 PM

how cute!! my son used a paci...easier to take away than fingers IMO...was an easy break for us

Kmakksmom
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Our kids never really liked pacis or anything like that.  They only sucked their thumbs for a little bit.

Desirae1394
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:19 AM

None of mine would take a nuk. My second broke himself of thumb sucking around a year. Nora still sucks her thumb sometimes when she's tired or going to sleep. She seems to breaking herself from it though.

christina122952
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 2:57 PM
My daughter never used a pacifier
SCL_HF
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM

DS kept his binkie for quite a while but once he transitioned off he didn't go to his thumb. 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Typically, that's when my son would do it but there'd be times where he'd be sitting on the couch, watching TV and he'd start doing it. And his green "blankey" that he's had since he was a baby, once he had it in his hands, in would go his thumb. LOL

Quoting Alexsi1:

I'm worried this may be my son. He sucks his thumb to go to sleep.

Quoting KylesMom409: DS sucked his thumb up until his 7th bday, which was 3 months ago. He said that as soon as he turned 7, he would stop. And he did, cold turkey!

FirefighersWife
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I have been very blessed that all 3 of my boys did not take a paci or thumb. They loved their blankets! My 2 oldest were the silk blanket (my 4 soon to be 5 still has them) and my youngest loves the receiving blankets. He won't take any other!

Apr1l
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:15 PM

I ve never had that issue.

Kmakksmom
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:33 PM
Our kids never had pacis or anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN