Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

How to tell my parents........

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:00 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 221 Total Views

My parents want to take Jake & Colton to DC next year. My dad thinks Jake will love all the museums and sites... he'll be 3 when we go. I am thinking he could careless lol Yeah he likes anything with wheels and dinasours but I dont think he'd be into walking in the museums. I tried telling my dad but he got all pissy and so did my mom.

I told them I didnt mind going but we have to go at his pace and that he might not be into everything since he will only be 3.

Was there a better way I should have told them?

Proud mommy of 1 special angel and 2 boys :-)
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbbeysMom2013
by Nicole on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:03 PM
You know your child the best. That seems like a big adventure for a 3 year old. I wouldn't thing that would be over the attention spand of a three year old.

Do you have a museum close to home that they could take him to to prove your point?
JRSMOM0621
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Yep but my father didnt go. My mom went and Jake was running her around because he wanted to run. he could have cared less. We did the touch museum side and he LOVED it. Up the rest? pft They think he'll be better when he is three

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: You know your child the best. That seems like a big adventure for a 3 year old. I wouldn't thing that would be over the attention spand of a three year old. Do you have a museum close to home that they could take him to to prove your point?

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM

We took my son to the Smithsonions when he was three, He had a blast, but we didnt stay all that long beause his attention span was not ready to explore the whole place just yet.  If you think he wouldnt enjoy it then dont let him go, But maybe try going to a local chilrens musem or something small and see how he does. He just might surprise you. 

JRSMOM0621
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

We did one that was only 5 minutes away. It had a bunch of old cars and trains in it. He didnt really care about it. We did a touch museum where he could play and interact with everything he was crazy about that. Jake doesnt have much patience but I figured I'd go and if he doesnt like it I can take him some place else in DC

Quoting KelliansMom:

We took my son to the Smithsonions when he was three, He had a blast, but we didnt stay all that long beause his attention span was not ready to explore the whole place just yet.  If you think he wouldnt enjoy it then dont let him go, But maybe try going to a local chilrens musem or something small and see how he does. He just might surprise you. 

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM

How old was he when you went to those places? If he was a lot younger that could have been the reseon he was indifferent about it. There is so much to do in Dc  too :) 

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

We did one that was only 5 minutes away. It had a bunch of old cars and trains in it. He didnt really care about it. We did a touch museum where he could play and interact with everything he was crazy about that. Jake doesnt have much patience but I figured I'd go and if he doesnt like it I can take him some place else in DC

Quoting KelliansMom:

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 3:52 PM

The dinosaur exhaibt is closed for 5 years.  There are trains at American History and of course the airplanes at Air and Space.  The botanical garden (greenhouse) is nice.  The zoo is great--that's a few miles from downtown. 

The main museums are not very toddler friendly and the ones that are are not downtown and have admissions fees. 

DC is crazy hot and humid and nasty in the summer and freezing in the winter.  Summer is also extremely crowded with tourists.

Sadly, we haven't taken Bug to anything because I spend all week downtown and don't want to come down and pay for parking and deal with the chaos in the summer.

JRSMOM0621
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM

It was just a few months ago.

Quoting KelliansMom:

How old was he when you went to those places? If he was a lot younger that could have been the reseon he was indifferent about it. There is so much to do in Dc  too :) 

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Quoting KelliansMom:

JRSMOM0621
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Oh that sucks :/ Yeah he wants to go in the summer and I hated going there. We went every year when my grandpa was alive and it about killed us with the heat

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

The dinosaur exhaibt is closed for 5 years.  There are trains at American History and of course the airplanes at Air and Space.  The botanical garden (greenhouse) is nice.  The zoo is great--that's a few miles from downtown. 

The main museums are not very toddler friendly and the ones that are are not downtown and have admissions fees. 

DC is crazy hot and humid and nasty in the summer and freezing in the winter.  Summer is also extremely crowded with tourists.

Sadly, we haven't taken Bug to anything because I spend all week downtown and don't want to come down and pay for parking and deal with the chaos in the summer.

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM
I miss the craziness of DC , I prefer it over Atlanta.

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM
The. You need to be firm with them. Be honest and tell them no he is not ready yet.

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

It was just a few months ago.

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Quoting KelliansMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement