Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Drooling, Crying and Pain, Oh My!

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies
  • 822 Total Views

Before I became a mom I worked in the "mobile infant" room for a  daycare center.  So yeah, we had the best room. We had a bunch of smiling, laughing and curious babies all crawling around with each other and I was in heaven.  Until it started.

And by "it" I mean, all the teething.  Of course, I still loved my job but if you have raised or cared for multiple teething children at once then you get me.  It was, at times,  what I will lovingly refer to as a teething circus.  With frozen wash cloths in constant rotation and teethers that didn't last more than a few days.  We kept track of doses of pain reliever and worked hard to keep one half of the room safe from the biting half. And we celebrated when drooling mouths and swollen gums gave way to the relief of a tooth finally poking through. Teething is rough, man!

I learned a lot about teething at that daycare. But I also had to un-learn a few things that I had thought were true.  Did you know that teething doesn't cause fever or diaper rash? Maybe you did, but that was news to me! I also thought at the time that teething caused ear infections and colds but that's not true, either! 

Never minding the myths we were told, teething does cause pain, swelling, drooling, sleep disturbances, eating disturbances and irritability. So it's good to have a game plan and be ready. Your baby will show the first signs of teething somewhere between 8 months and 12 months and there are twenty teeth coming in over the first 2 years. It's truly not easy being a baby but with loving help through it, you can make it a bit easier on your baby and cuddle them through it. 

What do you use to soothe teething symptoms? Any tips or tricks you want to share? 

Image © iStock.com/kmrep

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Orajel stuff. ice. cold fruits. teething rings. Stuff lol

christina122952
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Oragel, teething toys, frozen washcloth
mom2gmp2
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Amber teething necklace
KylesMom409
I have no idea how DH handles what's going on with his health. He's been diabetic for 21 years and now he has celiac disease. :(
Yesterday at 8:59 PM
by Linnette on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:08 AM
That's what I used as well.

Quoting christina122952: Oragel, teething toys, frozen washcloth
mem82
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:35 AM
Cold wash cloths, Tylenol if the pain got bad. Frozen toys.
mem82
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:36 AM
I used a frozen spoon a few times, too. My kids were pretty lucky in the pain department, though.
Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:37 AM

DS had it rough. I don't know why he had it rough but he was 11 months ols when he started cutting his teeth. He went from a happy crawling baby one day to a crying mess the next. I tried teething tablets, orajel, cold washcloths, teething rings, I about lost my mind lol. Honestly the only that thing that worked for him was Tylenol.

LaniBee
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Tylenol, teething toys and biscuits, cold washcloth

johnny4ever
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM

We used frozen teething rings & Orajel.

cassie241986
by Cassandra on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Orajel, teething tablets, cold wash cloths, frozen teething rings and Tylenol if it was real bad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement