Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it Time for a Toddler Bed?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies
  • 1122 Total Views

My niece was 3 years-old when she stopped using her crib, so when my son was born I remember thinking that was the norm. I thought I had some breathing room to just put the baby to bed and have evenings free to spend a little time for me.

That's not what happened. My little guy never spent a night in that crib. That's an entirely different post but it's worth noting that I did try everything that I was comfortable with trying. It just never came to be and I was OK with that. We ended up co-sleeping.  So here I had a 300+ dollar crib that essentially acted as a super fancy pack-n-play so I could plop him down with a toy, turn on that beautiful ( and kind of useless) mobile  and maybe, just maybe, go to the bathroom by myself (It's the little things).

So imagine my horror when at 12 months-old,  I set him down in the crib to play, like we always did, and I ran to take a quick shower one room over.  When I got out, I heard that heart-stopping cry that mama's everywhere fear. You know the one, it's the pain cry. Running to the next room, I see my baby on the floor. Thankfully he was ok. The fall scared him but there was no injury. He couldn't even WALK yet! I felt awful and I told my husband that night to never ever use the crib again (Ok, so I was a bit emotional).

So at 12 months, my little guy climbed right up and right on out of his crib. He climbed before he could walk. Baby gates could not keep him anywhere and our lives got a lot more active. So much for using it until he was three. 

When did you ditch the crib? Were you nervous to put your toddler in a toddler bed? 

Image © iStock.com/rafalkrakow

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Dd started climbing her crib around 13 months but we skilled the toddler bed and went straight to a twin.
sapphyre_rose
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Mobile Photo

I think we will skip the toddler, my daughter is 10 months old and she will stand up in the crib.
melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:16 AM

When he was like 2 1/2 almost 3 we converted his crib to a toddler bed. Then last year he got a real toddler bd.

cassie241986
by Cassandra on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:39 AM
Dd was around 18 months when I converted her crib to a toddler bed.
Alexsi1
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM

He was about 18 months old when we converted to a toddler bed.

KylesMom409
by Linnette - Admin on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Same with my DS.

Quoting cassie241986: Dd was around 18 months when I converted her crib to a toddler bed.
JRSMOM0621
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:23 AM

My son Jake was 17/18 months I believe. He tried crawling out of his crib which scared the crap out of me. He loves his toddler bed.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:27 AM

DD wasn't really showing any signs of being ready for a toddler bed, and I was perfectly happy with waiting until either A) she did start showing those signs, or B) she turned 3. But DH has always been anxious in the whole "moving her on to the next step" area, and she wasn't even 2.5 yet when we made the transition. I was mostly nervous because she was quite the toss and turner, and feared she'd fall out of the bed. But we had a spare mattress that we put next to her bed so that if she fell, not only would it not be as great a distance, but it would be soft :) It stayed that way for a few months, and about half the time, she'd end up on the mattress on the floor, LOL.

I was also nervous because our stairs were right next to her bedroom door and I was afraid that if she could walk out of her room, she might accidentally slip down the stairs because it was too dark for her to see them. So we put a child lock over the inside of her door so she couldn't get out. We kept it that way until we started potty training, and then we just put 2 night lights in the hall so she'd see the stairs, and another in the bathroom so it'd be easy to find in her sleepy state.

But she loved it. She absolutely loved her toddler bed, and to see the joy on her face when she knew she wasn't in a crib anymore, so worth it!

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM
My oldest was content with his crib and never crawled out. He was 3 when he went to a single bed with a rail. My 2nd never liked his crib and started crawling out at 1.5yrs we made it a toddler bed but he would just get out and crawl in bed with brother or us. So we moved him to his brothers twin with a rail he likes it better but at daylight will crawl in bed with someone else. Lol
SCL_HF
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Around 2 we turned the crib into a toddler bed and around 2 1/2 we converted the toddler bed to a big boy bed. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)