Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The party starts now...

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies
  • 1269 Total Views

Babies have a lot of firsts and everyone has their favorite. Whether it is the first smile, the first time they roll over, or even their first steps, every stage has its fans. But there is one that people skip over without even realizing that they are doing it because in a way, it is less about the baby and more about you. There is the first time that your baby looks at you and knows exactly who you are. You are the center of the universe and the answer to all their questions: you are Mom. From this moment on, you will be Mom forever.

In those blurry first few weeks of babyhood, you are sleep deprived and running on a quickly depleting store of good will and general kindness. After a while, baby starts to smile at you. This is awesome but you still kinda feel like they look at you the way construction workers flash hungry eyes at roach coaches parked in the lot. Maybe the baby is really just into food and it is not as much about you as you want to believe. Deep down you might want to believe that it is a sign of that instant bond from birth when you held your waxy baby for the first time but on a bad day, you just can't buy it.

Then they get a little older and you get a little more comfortable in the routine that you two have established. The chemistry is good and you have a solid working relationship, oh bearer of the sweet liquid elixir of life. You suddenly notice that baby is perking up when she sees you, and not even at meal time and without any pantomime translating roughly as, "Feed me now or we may both die." She wants to be held, only to be held. The only thing in the world that this baby needs is to be with you above all other creatures in his dominion.  It is all about you. This is even more awesome, if that is possible, that the thank you smile you have been getting. The baby is getting the message, "I am the one who endured immeasurable suffering of one kind or another all for you."

Granted that it will not be long before stranger fear sets in and that anyone who is not you is an imposing and terrifying figure. The center of the universe thing will get a bit old at times but for now, you have the best fan in the world, one who simply cannot stand to be deprived of your ingenious wit and humor and Tony-worthy songs. So revel in it. You are Mom, you have arrived, and the party starts now.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesMom409
by Linnette - Admin on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:09 AM
The first smile is awesome! 😊 we have a picture of DS and DH and he is clearly smiling at DH. It's such a great feeling when they recognize you. 😊
cassie241986
by Cassandra on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM
My favorites where the first smile and her first steps.
lil_mama06
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I always loved when they recognized us...And when the newest memeber would recognize her sister's...Poor Sarah (our 6th daughter) she had 5 names to get a hold of...But she just called them all sis sis for awhile....lol

LaniBee
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:29 AM

It's definitely a special moment when your baby gives you that look. I think I might have been just as (or maybe even more) thrilled when my youngest daughter recognized her sister. It's like she knew that little girl was going to be her best friend and partner in crime forever!

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I loved their first smiles!

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed

Quoting cassie241986: My favorites where the first smile and her first steps.

johnny4ever
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Loved that first kiss and wave

copperswifey
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:12 PM

What a great article. I couldn't agree with you more! :) 

Kmakksmom
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:43 PM
I love the first smiles, laughs and steps.
la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:10 PM

First smiles and laughs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)