Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you use any...?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:07 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 433 Total Views

Do you use any of the tools or ideas for reminders not to leave your LO in a hot car?

I do NOW!

I have always been one of those parents that when I read about a parent forgetting their child in a hot car I thought I could NEVER do that! How could you POSSIBLY forget your child??

Well, I did. Granted it was only for about 4-5 seconds but it happened to me! It was one of those "schedules got mixed around" situations. DH and I have a very set schedule for our lives and on Mondays I am always at work. Well a couple of weeks ago, I was home on a Monday. I was making a quick run to the bank and didn't remeber until I got to the door of the bank that I had left DS in the car!!! I RAN my forgetful butt back to the car, whipped the door open, and spent the next several minutes apologizing and checking every vital on my child to make sure he was okay. He was fine. Like I said, it had only been for a couple of seconds...but it could have been SO much worse! I never ever ever ever ever throught this could happen to me! 

Since then, when I strap DS into his car seat I use the "Left Shoe" method and leave my left shoe on the floor in front of DS's car seat. I almost always wear flip flops in the summer so it's not a big deal but even if I have tennis shoes on, I would rather spend the extra 30 seconds to put my shoe back on then ever ever forget my son in my hot car!

This was a huge eye opening event for me! My day could have gone completely different if I hadn't been thinking about opening a bank account for DS as I walked up to the door of my bank that day. I ended up being in the bank for an hour...DS would have been in a hot car, alone, for an hour. Completely devastating to think about. 

Do you use any tricks, tools, or ideas for not leaving kiddos in the hot car? If not, I would truly consider it. I never thought it would happen to me either. 

Come join me at these other fantastic groups:
Romance Reading Mommas (Owner), Mainstream Moms (Admin), and Baby's Firsts (Mod)

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strictmomhere
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:09 PM
No ive never done it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Since I'm a SAHM and I'm used to dd being with me all the time it's definetly not an issue for me. I'm more likely to have a complete panic attack from momentarily forgetting I left her with a sitter and freaking out because she's not in my car.
WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I haven't either. My husband and I work full time as well but I always take my daughter to/from daycare. Due to his work schedule, she is primarily with me. When he is off then all three of us are together. I live pretty close to our babysitter and work. Since a lot of these stories have come out, I have done some double/triple takes when leaving the babysitters and when I get to work.

beckyv1972
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Nope, never has happened.

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't yet. I'm almost never in the car without her, and when she is in the car, she's talktalktalktalktalktalktalktalktalk the whoooooooooooooole way. Kind of impossible to forget she's there :)

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:13 PM

No, I'm a SAHM with children who always make nosie in th car....LOL

AbbeysMom2013
by Nicole - Admin on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Dd is always with me. There is a few times she hasn't been, and I still go to get her out lol.

I'm glad you remembered quickly. And yes it's better for you to spend a few seconds putting your shoe on and have the piece of mind.
cassie241986
by Cassandra on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Dd is always with me when I'm out and she's always talking or making noise. I'm glad you remembered quickly and your ds is fine.
KylesMom409
by Linnette - Admin on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM
The same goes for me.

Quoting MomToovey:

I haven't yet. I'm almost never in the car without her, and when she is in the car, she's talktalktalktalktalktalktalktalktalk the whoooooooooooooole way. Kind of impossible to forget she's there :)

KylesMom409
by Linnette - Admin on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM
How scary for you! Hugs!

Quoting SCL_HF:

Do you use any of the tools or ideas for reminders not to leave your LO in a hot car?

I do NOW!

I have always been one of those parents that when I read about a parent forgetting their child in a hot car I thought I could NEVER do that! How could you POSSIBLY forget your child??

Well, I did. Granted it was only for about 4-5 seconds but it happened to me! It was one of those "schedules got mixed around" situations. DH and I have a very set schedule for our lives and on Mondays I am always at work. Well a couple of weeks ago, I was home on a Monday. I was making a quick run to the bank and didn't remeber until I got to the door of the bank that I had left DS in the car!!! I RAN my forgetful butt back to the car, whipped the door open, and spent the next several minutes apologizing and checking every vital on my child to make sure he was okay. He was fine. Like I said, it had only been for a couple of seconds...but it could have been SO much worse! I never ever ever ever ever throught this could happen to me! 

Since then, when I strap DS into his car seat I use the "Left Shoe" method and leave my left shoe on the floor in front of DS's car seat. I almost always wear flip flops in the summer so it's not a big deal but even if I have tennis shoes on, I would rather spend the extra 30 seconds to put my shoe back on then ever ever forget my son in my hot car!

This was a huge eye opening event for me! My day could have gone completely different if I hadn't been thinking about opening a bank account for DS as I walked up to the door of my bank that day. I ended up being in the bank for an hour...DS would have been in a hot car, alone, for an hour. Completely devastating to think about. 

Do you use any tricks, tools, or ideas for not leaving kiddos in the hot car? If not, I would truly consider it. I never thought it would happen to me either. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)