Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

That first time baby is sick...

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies
  • 579 Total Views

There is nothing that makes you sink away inside like the first time that baby is sick. I don't care how many children you have had, or how you are totally not the flighty type, because in there is something that eats away at your very soul when your baby is sick. There is so little that you can do to make them feel better, to make them feel safe, and the helpless feeling is like a rock in your heart. It is a first you wish never had to happen. If only you could live a whole lifetime and never feel like this ever again.

Remember when you were young? How it felt like your parents could do anything, they could solve any problem, fix anything, leap tall buildings? I think that we all want to be those parents in our mind's eye. We want to be the sort of people who are never shaken, never afraid, and who always know what to do. But that first time your baby is sick, you know that you are not that parent. You are tired, you are irritable, you need sleep, but even when the baby is quietly resting, you cannot stop you mind from going into overdrive. Every tiny but horribly cough hammers into you and you cannot stop the pain that either you or your baby feels. You might be frightened by this feeling, like you will never be equal to it should have known you could never do this.

There are limits to what we can do and there are those very real moments in life when we are reminded that we are just a small part of something greater than ourselves and that we are very vulnerable and very weak. You can't change who you are in this world and you can't make it all better by force of will. It is terrible, terrible feeling unlike anything else.  But what you might not know is that your parents felt the same way. Your grandparents felt the same way. All parents of small children have known that feeling. What this moment really is at its core, it a transcendent moment in time when you are very much connected to what all parents have felt. What you feel is terrible bitter and all too real but it is also very natural and in the end, it is okay, too.

This feeling, this sense of our smallness tells us something about ourselves that is as important as it is crushing. When you are aware of how you simply cannot stand the way each cough, each rattle, each whimper carves away at you, you also know just how much you love that baby. You have never loved anyone like you love this baby. The pain you feel when this baby is sick, is directly equal to the burning ferocity of love you feel. This little person who has suddenly come into your life has just as suddenly consumed it. You cannot even sleep because you are no longer looking at your own navel, but his tiny. This is a good thing and what you endure because you love him so much is worth it. Not that you would ever wish him to be sick again, but you would never give up this pain to love him less. He is worth every moment and then some.

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzieginger
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:42 AM

My LO was sick recently for the first time. It's so hard on a mama and you feel so helpless.

AbbeysMom2013
by Nicole - Admin on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:16 AM
The first time she got sick was last year right before her first Christmas (I caught it also, so it was even harder to take care of her, thankfully I was worse than she was).Unfortunately no one really enjoyed her first Christmas.
LaniBee
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM

:(  awww,   hopefully, this Christmas you all will be happy and healthy! 

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: The first time she got sick was last year right before her first Christmas (I caught it also, so it was even harder to take care of her, thankfully I was worse than she was).Unfortunately no one really enjoyed her first Christmas.

delanna6two
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:07 PM

My 2nd. dd had a cold for the 1st. time at 8 weeks. 

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:49 PM

The first time my daughter got sick was for her first birthday : ( 

johnny4ever
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:54 PM

My son was sick the first xmas..I remember taking him to ER.

KylesMom409
by Linnette - Admin on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:32 PM
Same with my DS. 😞 he had croup and he was so miserable. I felt so bad for him.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

The first time my daughter got sick was for her first birthday : ( 

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I hated when my babies were sick, but I loved being able just to sit and cuddle them.

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:02 AM
I remember when ds was so sick he had it coming out both ends. Ugh.
Sisteract
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:15 AM

My first was rarely, ever sick.

The second one was sick from about 3 mos until 3 years- dreaded ear infections and 2 sets of tubes later, he was better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)