Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby's First Bad Word

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:45 AM
  • 32 Replies
  • 1298 Total Views

One milestone all parents look forward to is baby's first word. More than just marking the beginning of a new (and louder) era in your child's life, it's also a glimpse into the inner workings of his or her mind, as first words are also often important words to Baby: popular choices are "Mama," "Dada," maybe "baba" for "bottle" or something approximating "milk." (For what it's worth, my first word was "kitty" and I grew up into kind of a crazy cat lady.) First words are things to cherish and remember forever and ever.

But then there are the words you wish your kids would forget. "Did she just say...? Was that...? Where did she...?" Yep, Baby said a bad, bad thing.

A few weeks ago I wrote about the sheer awesomeness that is the toddler "language explosion," but I kind of glossed over the part where things can go horribly, hilariously wrong. Swearing babies are generally harmless--they're mostly just parroting sounds anyway--but it's still enough to stop you in your tracks when it happens, especially if it happens in the proper context. 

What you do next is where parenting can get tricky. With an older kid, you'd probably want to address the issue with stern looks and firm lessons about using language responsibly yadda yadda (perhaps while stifling a giggle), but when it's just a baby cursing over spilled milk? I'll admit I'm more likely to run for the camera and ask him to say it again. 

Has your baby picked up any naughty words? What do you do when it happens? Correct them? Laugh? Make them put a quarter in the "swear jar"?

Image © iStock.com/kmwphotography

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzieginger
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:44 AM

My LO is too little yet but with my DH's potty mouth I'm sure it's bound to happen.

SendMeBabyDust
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:45 AM
His first bad word to me ? The word NO . He's a year old and uses it OFTEN .
-_-'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.am.holly
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Ugh, that's the worst.  

Quoting SendMeBabyDust: His first bad word to me ? The word NO . He's a year old and uses it OFTEN . -_-'

i.am.holly
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:03 AM

LOL I used to say the same.

Quoting suzieginger:

My LO is too little yet but with my DH's potty mouth I'm sure it's bound to happen.

AbbeysMom2013
by Nicole - Admin on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:14 AM
I'm sure this is bound to happen. Dh and I try really hard to watch our mouths, but the test of our family .... Not so much. I will try my hardest not to laugh, but I will tell her we don't say those words.
LaniBee
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:16 AM

When my oldest DD was about 3, I asked her to do something and she replied, "You bust my *alls!"  I was so stunned, I didn't know what to say! I don't even know where she heard it because that was not a phrase we, or anyone around us, ever used. She's 18 now and fortunately her vocabulary is extensive and clean!  

delanna6two
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I correct them and redirect. 

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM
My 2 year old says, "ma'am it!" on occasion cuz he's heard me say, "damn it."

I don't make a big deal about words in general. My kids learn that they're adult words and my DD who is old enough to understand that has always respected it.
lil_mama06
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:18 PM

When our 5th daughter was learning to talk, she tried to say fork...It came out yep you guessed it....So while we were visiting my mom I told Val to ask Grandma for a fork...She went up to her and said it....My mom turned to me and said what is she asking for...I said a fork, she said you better work on that....We never made a big deal out of it...

lil_mama06
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Oh yeah...Gotta love that stage...I'm in the wasn't me, I don't know stage...

Quoting SendMeBabyDust: His first bad word to me ? The word NO . He's a year old and uses it OFTEN . -_-'

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)