Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Is It True We Take More Photos Of Our First Baby?

By mooshinindy on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Many experienced parents will tell you that they followed every moment of their first baby's life with a camera in hand while the photos became less and less frequent with subsequent children. If you already have a photo of your first baby sitting up, why do you need a photo of the second, third or even fourth child? My mom has always been a skilled photographer and I my sister and I have some gorgeous pictures from our childhood just like my children have some really great ones of their own — but is there a difference in quantity between my sister and me and my own girls?

Last year for Christmas my mom made my sister and me bound books of almost all of our childhood photos, and one of the things I noticed right away is there was a whole lot more of my sister in her first year of life than there was of me. In fact, I don't have a single photo of me alone with my mom until I was almost four or five years old, nor do I have a photo of her pregnant with me. I wasn't exactly the prettiest baby, especially compared to my sister, but I still feel a little cheated out of seeing more of my babyhood, especially photos taken with my parents. As I grew I became the subject of just as many photos as my sister — including the terribly awkward years.

With my first I had a very simple digital camera and a very limited understanding of photography, so while I have thousands of photos from Addie's first year, only a handful of them are truly worth framing. When she was almost three I bought my first DSLR and the number of Addie pictures in my photo albums doubled as I tried to master my new piece of equipment with her as my muse. By the time Vivi came along I was incredibly comfortable with my camera and loved taking pictures of Vivi everyday — so if we're talking quantity? They both have the same amount. Quality? Sorry Addie! As my girls have grown I have been able to capture the two of them together, which is one of my favorite things to photograph. I also make a conscious effort to get myself in the pictures so my kids don't look back someday and wonder where I was when all these photos were being taken.

Another great part of having this vast collection of photographs from my own childhood to now is I can compare not only my own girls and their firsts, but I can also see just how much my oldest is beginning to look just like me. I wonder if less photos of subsequent babies is more about the expense and inconvinence of photography before the introduction of digital and now that we have a camera available to us at all times all babies are getting the same amount of shutter time?

So what about you, do you have more photos of one child over another? Or has that all changed now that we have digital photography available to us at almost every moment of a child's life?

mooshinindy About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • SarahSuzyQ
  • by Sarah on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:44 AM
  • I do think digital photography has led to having way more pictures of our kiddos than we did in the past. As for our family, we have an only child so there is no comparison... But I do think that I may have way more pictures from the early years than I do from nowadays (he's 6). I do still take a lot of pictures, but I like to think it's slowed down at least somewhat.
  • Quote Reply
  • LaniBee
  • by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM
  • We definitely have more photos of our first DD. And most of the photos of our second daughter are of her with her sister.

• Quote Reply
  • lalasmama2007
  • by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:10 AM
  • I only have one child, but I took a lot more pics of her when she was younger.  The older she gets, the less pics we take.

• Quote Reply
  • sanj1213
  • by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM
  • I only have one right now with a ton of pictures. I don't know that I'd take more than that with a second one. 

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement