Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

Filing Away the Details

By GFunkified on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Milestones happen when you least expect it, and if you're anything like me, whatever your baby has learned to do is the most exciting thing happening anywhere at that moment. My focus, when I see my baby do something that I know she's been working on for so long, is on my baby. Right? Isn't that the way it works for a mom or dad when big developments happen in front of our eyes? Then after she's rolled over, or taken a step, or shoved her fist in her mouth for the first time, I'm waiting for her to do it again, if only to prove that I did, in fact, see what I think I saw.

What I'm not focused on is getting it written down in the baby book. There's no chance I'm going to say "Hey, my beautiful baby! Can you wait a second while I write this moment down so I can remember it forever? Then I'll just find the appropriate scrapbook paper and print out a picture and we'll be good to go."  No, that's not going to happen. What might happen is I'll choose a lovely scrapbook paper background a few months later, while I try to remember what day it was so I can find the picture on my phone and order a print.

I would love to have those exact moments captured, though, which is why I love the idea of keeping a few index cards tucked in my purse for writing down those momentous occasions, and a small box to put them in at home. If I'm out and about, or just in the living room, I can take a second after the excitement of a milestone has died down a little, and jot down the details. The date, the time even, and what was going on at that precise moment in time. When your baby is grown up, you're left with a small box of precious, detailed memories.

What would you jot down to file away in a box of note cards?

Photo by vgajic via iStock.

GFunkified About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • KylesMom409
  • by Linnette on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:07 AM
  • I like the idea of jotting things down on note cards as they happen. I just recently updated DS's baby books and they are great keepsakes but just writing stuff down on note cards is a great idea too.
  • Quote Reply
  • LaniBee
  • by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:46 AM
  • My girls have scrapbook albums that I updated every month or so. We didn't have a digital camera when my first baby was born (almost 19 yrs ago), so I would put the dates on all the photos as soon as they came back from the photo shop. I also kept their 1st year calendars easily accessible so I could grab and update it. 

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN