Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommy's Little Helper

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies
  • 2988 Total Views

Toddlers are walking contradictions. Sometimes this makes them extra frustrating, sometimes it makes them extra adorable, and sometimes--the best times--it makes them extra helpful, as in the case of my toddler, who is both the person in our family who creates the biggest messes yet is also the one most passionate about CLEANING ALL THE THINGS (albeit on his own terms). It makes no sense, but it's also completely awesome.

One of my son's favorite toys is a pint-sized broom, and he's especially fond of the dustpan-and-brush set. He's so enamored of the dust wand that he's hidden it in a top secret location and I have to buy a new one. He's not much help when I turn on the vacuum, but the noise always makes him shriek with glee and dance around the room, which is so cute I don't mind that he's in my way.

I've heard legend that some toddlers love to help handwash the dishes and that some mothers are relaxed enough to let them, even though they're aware that allowing a small child near a sink of soapy water is just asking for trouble.

For now, we haven't pounced on the toddler's passion for cleaning by creating any kind of formal structure, like giving him a regular assignment or a chore chart or anything. While he's still so little, we just go with a loosey-goosey method of picking and choosing tasks in the moment--maybe helping make the bed, maybe putting folded laundry in his dresser drawer--and trying to keep things light and fun and low-pressure and age-appropriate. So far so good, and my baseboards have never looked better!

(I'm in no rush for my kids to grow up, but I still can't help but wonder how old they have to be before I can teach them how to clean toilets and windows. ;) )

Do you give your toddler chores?

Image © iStock.com/PeopleImages

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sapphyre_rose
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:05 AM
My daughter is too young for chores
melliburger
by Melli on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:06 AM

He does random little things for us.

cassie241986
by Cassandra on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:23 AM
She doesn't have chores but does help me with things around the house.
KylesMom409
by Linnette - Admin on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:24 AM
DS is 7 and is starting to do chores. But nothing is really set in stone as to chores he has to do every day. But soon!
kellynh
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:14 AM

My 2.5 yo loves to vacuum. It's funny watching him push it around :) 

kellynh
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:19 AM
He also helps with dishes, wiping down the table, and getting laundry out of the dryer.
johnny4ever
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Yes we did..small things.

Whereismymind
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:35 AM
My youngest(17mnths) will put away his toys.... Clap then throw them out again lol! Then the process starts over haha
My older boys do some basic cleaning, my 7 year old has shown interest in doing chores to earn money so I'm going to delegate some chores.
Alexsi1
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM
I don't give him an official chore, but he loves to help me clean.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM
My 2 1/2 year old is responsible for picking up his own toys and clearing his dishes from the table. He also hangs up his towel after bath time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)