Baby's Firsts

From their first smiles to their first steps, we're here to celebrate all of your little one's milestones.

When An Important First Is Also A Last

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband walked into our bedroom one night last week and announced "Vivi is sleeping in panties, I took her crib rail off and she has been instructed to wake one of us up if she needs help going potty." While my first thought should have been "Oh, crap. I'm going to have a toddler on the loose with no where to contain her." my actual first thought was "That's it. She's not a baby anymore. She has nothing left to outgrow." That fact has been sitting on me ever since.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good self-reliant child, but any firsts from here on out will be a whole lot different than first solid food, first tooth and first steps.

I'm sentimental about firsts, I always have been. It seems to make the mundane day-to-day tasks of parenting a little more exciting when you rephrase another normal day as "Today was the first time Addie tried summer squash" or "Today was Vivi's first time on a Ferris wheel." I can look back at pictures and tell my girls "That was the first time your rode the bus to school" or "That was the day before you lost your first tooth." Oh man, can we just stop for a minute and talk about losing teeth?

There's something so sad about having a part of your child that you wept tears for (becuase you cried during the terrible process of teething too, right?) fall out of their mouth. Suddenly there's this hole where a tiny little tooth used to be and a giant grown up tooth moves in to take its tiny little place. Once the big teeth start coming in, that's when you can't live in baby denial anymore.

So Vivi's crib rail is gone, and she's made the transition into toddlerhood very loudly. In a few weeks she'll have her first day of preschool, before you know it one of those tiny little teeth in her mouth will fall out and it will be the beginning of the end. Perhaps I'm just extra sentimental because I don't think there are any more babies in our future, this is kind of it. What if I never get to rock a little tiny body to sleep again? While there have been a lot of firsts to celebrate, I also find myself mourning the lasts. (Like the last nap, am I right?)

But I'll keep chronicling the firsts: first day of a new grade, first date, first zit, first kiss, first trophy,  first broken heart, first Nobel Peace Prize, but I will never forget those little firsts that were such huge steps into making my babies into grown-up people.

What firsts are you most looking forward to (or leaving behind)?

mooshinindy About :
Replies (21-30):
  • lizzig
  • by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM
  •  i so miss all those baby firsts!  my daughter had her first period last november.  she started her first day of middle school this past monday.  it seems only a bit ago she was getting on the bus for her first day of kindergareten.  it's hard to believe that all of the "firsts" (step, word, etc) were so long ago.  her first period maked the end of my baby girl & the beginning of my young lady. :o(

• Quote Reply
  • lizzig
  • by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:31 PM
  •  my daughter was the same.  she always seemed so quick to be done with me!  pushing me out the door at daycare, wanting a sleepover as soon as she knew what they were at 3. 

Quoting xomrs.chase: I miss nursing. He weaned at 16 months. It was bitter-sweet.

• Quote Reply
  • timon95
  • by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • i am really not looking forward to them continuing to grow up lol! dd just started shaving her legs, they are growing up so fast. where did my little babies and all the other firsts go? still many other wonderful firsts to come! as much as i want to freeze time and keep them young, i am looking forward to seeing what kind of adults they become because i love the children that they are!

• Quote Reply
  • mrswillie
  • by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:11 AM
  • My youngest graduated high school.last school year. This is all new territory for me now.

Quoting lizzig:

i so miss all those baby firsts!  my daughter had her first period last november.  she started her first day of middle school this past monday.  it seems only a bit ago she was getting on the bus for her first day of kindergareten.  it's hard to believe that all of the "firsts" (step, word, etc) were so long ago.  her first period maked the end of my baby girl & the beginning of my young lady. :o(

• Quote Reply
  • yvonne37
  • by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM
  • well mine are big, 8 and 18, but I am looking forward to the first prom high school graduation from my son and my daughter graduating elementary school.

I am not looking forward to my girl dating and my boy getting married lol ;)

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement