Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting Solid Foods

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:30 AM
  • 28 Replies
  • 3372 Total Views

Just like for everything else in a baby’s development, no two babies are the same. Some babies are ready for solids before others. My two babies couldn’t have been more different. My first didn't want solids until he was 13 months old! My daughter? She was plowing through avocado at 5 months and signing for more. So when is a good time to start trying solids with baby? Well here are some signs that your baby is ready according to Kelly Mom.

*Loss of the tongue thrust reflex – You know how your newborn pushes their tongue out of their mouths regularly? This is a protective reflex that all babies are born with to help keep foreign objects out of the mouth. Nature is so smart, right? So when the stop doing that, they may be ready to try solid foods. This happens anywhere from 4 to 6 months old. 

*Baby should be AT LEAST 4 months old.

*Your baby can sit up unassisted with good head control- This helps baby accept food and minimizes the risk of choking. 

*Baby can take food into the mouth and hold it there.

*Baby seems to be more and more hungry without becoming satisfied- Remember though that starting solid food should NOT replace nursing or a bottle. Until one year-old, your baby should get most of their nutrition from breast milk or formula. 

Introducing solids can be an exciting time for mama and baby.  If you are breastfeeding, starting solids can introduce other families to the fun of feeding baby. There are so many ways to introduce solids. Some parents choose jar/pouch food, while others make all of their own baby food and freeze it.  Others use a method called Baby Led Solids which is basic soft foods in their natural form (Think avocado, melon, and banana etc.) given without mashing it up.

Whatever method you choose, two things to remember are to never leave baby unattended while eating solid foods and prepare for messes. Babies have a knack for covering themselves in the joy of new foods.

When did your baby start solid foods? What was your baby’s first food? What method did you use? 

Image © iStock.comFamVeld

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alexsi1
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:33 AM
He started solids around 5 months. His first food was squash. We did all veggies first over a couple of days to make sure he didn't have a reaction, then we moved to fruits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbbeysMom2013
by Nicole - Admin on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:41 AM
We did oatmeal cereal at 4 months, she wasn't ready (and she hated it). We tried the cereal again at 6 months, still hated it, but she loved the peas. We would do a new food about once a week. And we would do it for 3 days just to make sure no reactions. She quickly wanted table foods, and I would always let her try them. She is a super good eater, I haven't founf a food she doesbt like.
KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM

We did ceral with my oldest and purees ..he is the so picky with food and textures now its crazy. With Talan we started solids at six months and he just eats what we eat. We do some purees but thats to flavor the plain greek yogurt he gets for the probiotics.

LoveMyBug2013
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Other indicators are that they must have doubled their birth weight and be reaching for things and putting them in their mouth.

My son had ALL of these at 4 months old, so we started him.  We did the rice cereal (which I won't do again) followed by avocado, carrots, banana, sweet potato.  We made all of our own food and just cooked about once a week for him.  We found the freezing didn't work well for us.

He was also primarily formula fed, so I think that may have been a factor as well. 

This baby will be getting avocado, banana and sweet potatoes as her first foods, no rice cereal ever. 

nngmommy83
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:19 PM
This baby loves food! She has been getting solids since about 4 months. She wanted to try what we were eating and reaching for my food so we started her on banana, sweet potato and avocado which she loves!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nngmommy83
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:20 PM
My other 2 started with rice cereal which I found constipated them so I skipped it this time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy - Group Owner on Dec. 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM
We started a few weeks shy of 6 months and if I knew what I do now, I would have waited another month or two.
We never did rice cereal. We started with yellow squash, then bananas I think.
letstalk747
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:45 PM

at 1 1/2 years old he had a feeding tube till 2 years old

KylesMom409
by Linnette - Admin on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Same here.

Quoting cabrandy03: We started a few weeks shy of 6 months and if I knew what I do now, I would have waited another month or two.
We never did rice cereal. We started with yellow squash, then bananas I think.
melliburger
by Melli on Dec. 14, 2014 at 1:20 AM

He started like 5 1/2 months. We started with jarred food but quickly found out he wanted what we were eating. So we did that cut up into really small pieces.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)