Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:08 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 875 Total Views

So my daughter is 17 months and has gone on the potty a few times, only because she was already in the bath tub and she said 'poo poo' and I quick put her on. She knows what the potty is for (pee pee and poo poo) but she doesn't quite know how to wait to go until we get to the potty. If she tells me 'poo poo' I will say ok, let's go to the potty and she screams 'no no no!' and then runs away and goes in her diaper. Sometimes says 'pee pee' and then goes in her diaper. After both of these scenarios, she goes to the potty and says "sticker?", because she thinks since the went pee or poop that she gets a sticker. I tell her no, we only get a sticker if we go ON the potty. I know she's a little young, so I'm not in a rush, but any tips for me? I don't ever force her to go on the potty.

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:41 PM

I bet it's frustrating, but honestly, I'd just keep doing what you're doing. No sense discouraging it because that would get confusing, and like you said, you don't want to force it. The only thing I might suggest is maybe asking her to sit on the potty randomly throughout the day, instead of waiting for her to say she needs to go. I tried to make sitting on the potty fun by reading to her when she sat on it, maybe if she can associate the potty with being fun, she won't run away from it.

Do you take her into the bathroom with you when you go? I always did with my DD and I'd explain to her what I was doing and how it's the same as what she does in her diaper. I know you said she knows what it's for, but if she hasn't seen it being used, she may not fully understand.

Good luck!

KelliansMom
by Darbie - Head Admin on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Follow her lead :). Potty training really has to be something they want to do. But don't get to concerned if her interest goes a way for a little bit 17 months is still on the younger side to potty train.
KylesMom409
by Linnette - Admin on Feb. 23, 2015 at 6:27 PM
Great advice! 😊

Quoting MomToovey:

I bet it's frustrating, but honestly, I'd just keep doing what you're doing. No sense discouraging it because that would get confusing, and like you said, you don't want to force it. The only thing I might suggest is maybe asking her to sit on the potty randomly throughout the day, instead of waiting for her to say she needs to go. I tried to make sitting on the potty fun by reading to her when she sat on it, maybe if she can associate the potty with being fun, she won't run away from it.

Do you take her into the bathroom with you when you go? I always did with my DD and I'd explain to her what I was doing and how it's the same as what she does in her diaper. I know you said she knows what it's for, but if she hasn't seen it being used, she may not fully understand.

Good luck!

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:09 PM

I think you are doing exactly the right thing for her age... Not rushing or pushing, but responding to her cues. She's still young.

One thing my son really liked when he was potty training was reading big toy catalogues while sitting on the potty... Again, in the spirit of keeping it fun rather than something she's running away from. Doing a great job, momma!

jobberwocky
by Chrissy - Admin on Feb. 24, 2015 at 10:48 AM
Keep up what you are doing. Don't push it. She will get there.
blapier
by Brenda on Feb. 24, 2015 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Like a pp said follow her lead. She's still young so it might be touch and go. I used to fight with dd about it and it would frustrate both of us. Dd will be 4 next month and just became potty trained only a couple weeks ago. She still has het accidents and pooping is still an issue but it's a lot better now that she's finally ready.
Mommy2Jane
by Member on Feb. 25, 2015 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! I will try having her sit on it throughout the day. She does come in the bathroom with me and says 'pee pee' when we go in, so I think she understands that part. What do you think?

Quoting MomToovey:

Good luck!

MomToovey
by Marianne - Admin on Feb. 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Yep, I agree that she understands if she does that :) Good luck!!

Quoting Mommy2Jane:

Thank you! I will try having her sit on it throughout the day. She does come in the bathroom with me and says 'pee pee' when we go in, so I think she understands that part. What do you think?

Quoting MomToovey:

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)