Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm heading to DC!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:19 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 242 Total Views
We live in Cali and DH just landed a job at the DoE in DC!! We should be moving in 6 weeks!

Is this an active group?

So what's there to know about the city and MD/VA?

Don't know where we will live yet. Looking at all the suburbs around within reach of metro lines. So not TOO far outside. Government lays for metro so no worries of using it from the outskirts (cuz MAN does it add up quick! I calculated fares from the furthest limbs to the smithsosian station at just over $5 one way with peak of the peak price. That's $225-$300/mo!!

Any areas to stay away from?

We are looking for rent around $1200-1300/mo to start out (2 bdrm)

How long does it snow out there?

I've never driven in snow =\ I'm TERRIFIED!! I was just watching YouTube videos on snow driving and drifting.

Ahhh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
iMommyDi
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 8:50 AM
I take it not an active group at all? :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ikesmommy
by 2nd in Command on Sep. 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Quoting iMommyDi:

I take it not an active group at all? :(

LOL, That is kind of funny. You got the cricket effect :(

There are some of us here that try, but we don't have members that respond so frequently. I have posted a couple opportunities to do something as a group, but no one has responded yet.

ikesmommy
by 2nd in Command on Sep. 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM

There is a lot to know about the city, but nothing I can think of off the top of my head. Metro is expensive. I use $200 a month and my husband uses $250. We live in Laurel, my son goes to school in Upper Marlboro, I work in DC, and my husband works in VA. We are all over the place.

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for?

It snows at least twice most winters. Sometimes we get a dusting, and sometimes we get a blizzard. It's variable. But if the government closes, most of the businesses in the city close too. You will get plenty of driving practice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)