Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Vegetarian Recipes

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2010 at 10:19 PM
  • 33 Replies

Please post your vegetarian recipes here.

I will be going through old posts and posting them here also.

Page 1:

Mushroom Stroganoff
Macaroni Pie w/mushroom sauce
Vegetarian Meatloaf
Mexican Beans & Pasta Bake
Santa Fe Beans & Rice
Lemon Pasta & Salad
Crockpot Sweet & Sour Cabbage Roll
No Hurry Vegetable Curry
Saucy Peas and Rice
Linguine w/Clam Sauce

Page 2:

Veggie Sandwich w/Pesto Mayo
Ranch Lentils

by on Nov. 1, 2010 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billssweety
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 2:36 PM
  • by on Sep. 25, 2010 at 8:51 AM
  •  

Mushroom Stroganoff, is a great, speedy weeknight dinner, especially if you cook the noodles the night before (I use whole wheat egg noodles or bowties). I also throw in spinach, either fresh or frozen chopped. 

1 lb portabella mushrooms (either the large or baby bellas), cut in half and sliced
    1/2 onion, diced
    1 - 1 1/2 c sour cream (I use fat free plain
    Greek yogurt)
    1/2 - 1 Tbsp Hungarian Paprika
    salt & pepper to taste
    olive oil or butter (I use some of each)
    1/8 cup (or so) vegetable broth or dry white wine (optional, not part of the original recipe; I think that it gives it some depth)
    Sauté diced onions in olive oil or butter (your preference) until just soft and translucent. Add sliced mushrooms, sauté until cooked through. Add broth/wine paprika and incorporate well. Turn down heat and add sour cream. Heat through, add salt & pepper to taste. Add more sour cream if the 1 cup doesn't cover everything well. Serve on top of egg noodles or rice. Once I made this and I didn't have enough yogurt, so I added cream cheese and it was still very good! Mushrooms are a great source of protein as well as many other nutrients.
    http://www.mushroomcouncil.com/nutrition/nutri.html 

michiganmom116
    by Rhonda on Nov. 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Macaroni pie with mushroom sauce (this is a microwave recipe but I think it can be adapted to the oven if you like)

• 1/3 c. dry bread crumbs
    • 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
    • 2 Tbsp. margarine or butter
    • 7 to 8 oz. macaroni rings (or use regular macaroni), cooked and drained
    • 1 c. creamed cottage cheese
    • 3/4 c. to 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
    • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
    • 1/2 tsp. salt
    • 1/8 tsp. pepper

Mushroom Sauce

• 1 can cream of mushroom soup
    • 1 4 oz. can mushroom stems & pieces, drained
    • 1/4 c. milk
    • 1 Tbsp. margarine or butter
    • 1 Tsp. instant minced onion
    • 1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and margarine in a 2 cup measure. Microwave on high, stirring every 30 seconds, until light brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Set aside.

Mix hot macaroni, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, eggs, salt, and pepper. Turn into greased 9 inch pie plate. Cover with waxed paper and microwave on medium (50%) 8 minutes. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over pi. Microwave uncovered on medium (50%) until center is almost set, another 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

MUSHROOM SAUCE: Mix all ingredients in 4 cup measure. Microwave uncovered on high, stirring every minute until hot and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes.

michiganmom116
    by Rhonda on Nov. 3, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Vegetarian Meatloaf

Add salt to water and bring to a boil. Add lentils and cook until very soft and most of the water is gone. Drain and partially mash lentils. Scrape into a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Add onion, oats, and cheese and mix. Add rest of ingredients and mix well. Spoon into a loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with cooking spray. Smooth top with the back of the spoon. Bake at 350° for 30 to 45 minutes, until top of loaf is dry, firm, and slightly golden brown. Cool on rack for 10 minutes. Loosen loaf by inserting and running a knife along the sides between the loaf and the pan. Turn out loaf onto serving platter. Top with more sauce if desired.

billssweety
    by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 2:38 PM
  • by on Sep. 27, 2010 at 7:07 AM
  •  

MEXICAN BEANS AND PASTA BAKE 

1 med. onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    2" segment hot chili pepper, minced or 1/4 tsp. cayenne
    1 tbsp. chili powder
    1 qt. undrained canned diced tomatoes
    1 tsp. oregano
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    1 c. uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni or other pasta broken into pieces
    3/4 c. frozen or canned corn

3/4 c. diced zucchini

3 c. cooked pink or black beans (or two cans)
    1/2 c. sliced black olives
    1 c. broken taco shells or tortilla chips
    1 c. shredded Jack cheese or cheese of your choice

In a skillet coated with non-stick cooking spray (I use olive oil) sauté onion, garlic and hot pepper for about 3 minutes to soften. Add chili powder and cook briefly. Add tomatoes, oregano and cumin and bring to a boil. Add pasta, corn and zucchini and simmer 15 minutes until pasta is just tender. Stir in beans and olives. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Transfer bean mixture to a shallow 2 quart casserole. Top with taco shells or tortilla chips and cheese. Bake for 10 minutes to melt cheese. If casserole is assembled in advance and chilled, increase baking time to 20 minutes or until heated through. Top with sour cream at the table.

michiganmom116
    by Rhonda on Nov. 3, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Santa Fe Beans & Rice

• 2 c. cooked white rice (2/3 c. uncooked long grain white rice, 1 1/3 c. water, combine in pan and boil about 14 minutes until rice is tender)
    • 1 15 oz. can or 2 c. cooked black beans
    • 1 c. frozen corn or 8 oz. can sweet corn kernels
    • 1 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
    • 1 c. salsa
    • 1 c. lowfat sour cream
    • 2 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
    • 1 small red or white onion, sliced or diced, your choice
    • 1 small can sliced black olives (or more if that's your preference)

Preheat oven to 350°. IN a large bowl, combine drained beans, corn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, 1 c. cheese, and cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish and top with onions and olives. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer until cheese is melted. I served mine with homemade tortilla chips.

billssweety
    by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM
  • by on Oct. 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM
  • Super easy and cheap dinner

Lemon Pasta and salad

1 lb whole grain pasta
    1 stick of butter
    1 lemon (zest and juice)
    sea salt
    pepper
    1 cup of your favorite Italian style hard cheese

Cook pasta (reserve some water from cooked pasta)
    melt butter in large pan or pot big enough to add pasta too
    once melted remove from heat and add in zest and juice from one lemon
    add salt and pepper to taste toss in pasta and add cheese, add pasta water if too dry for your taste

Your favorite salad on the side and some crunchy bread if you'd like.  This is a great for a meatless night but I think this is also yummy with rosemary chicken add in at the end

billssweety
    by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 2:48 PM
  • by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM
  • I actually cooked this yesterday, and reheated tonight:

Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Cabbage Rolls  

1TB packed brown sugar
    1 large head green cabbage
    1 can (15 oz.) black beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or 1.5 cups home cooked)
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1/2 cup chopped carrots
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3-1/2 cups marinara sauce or meatless spaghetti sauce (jarred or home cooked)
    1/3 cup raisins
    3 TB lemon juice
    Remove 8 large outer leaves from head of cabbage. In a Dutch oven cook cabbage leaves in boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes or just until leaves are limp. Drain cabbage leaves. Trim the thick rib in center of each leaf. Set leaves aside. Shred 4 cups of the remaining cabbage; place shredded cabbage in a 3-1/2 to 6 quart crock pot. In medium bowl combine beans, cooked rice, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce. Divide bean mixture evenly among the 8 cabbage leaves, using about 1/3 cup per leaf. Fold sides of leaf over filling and roll up. Repeat with remaining cabbage rolls Combine remaining marinara sauce, raisins, lemon juice, and brown sugar. Pour about half of the sauce mixture over shredded cabbage in cooker. Stir to mix. Place cabbage rolls atop shredded cabbage. Top with remaining sauce. Cover and cook on LOW heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on HIGH heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours. Carefully remove the cooked cabbage rolls and serve with the shredded cabbage.

billssweety
    by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 2:53 PM
  • by on Oct. 24, 2010 at 9:26 AM
  • No Hurry Vegetable Curry

1 tablespoon peanut oil
    1 to 2 large carrots, sliced on a diagonal
    1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons curry powder
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
    8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (I hate green beans, and sub broccoli and cauliflower)
    1-1/2 cups slow-cooked or one 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
    2 cups vegetable stock
    1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
    1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
    Salt

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots and onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, curry powder, coriander, and cayenne, stirring to coat. (I do this in the slowcooker, on high) Transfer the vegetable mixture to a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Add the potatoes, green beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, and stock; cover, and
    cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
    Just before serving, stir in the peas and coconut milk and season with salt. Taste to adjust the seasonings.

billssweety
    by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM
  • by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 1:07 PM
  • SAUCY PEAS AND RICE

1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 tablespoon margarine or butter
    1 (10 oz) package frozen peas
    1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1 cup milk
    1 dash freshly-ground black pepper
    1 1/2 cups Original Minute Rice, uncooked

Cook and stir mushrooms in hot margarine in large skillet until lightly browned.

Add peas, (undiluted) soup, milk and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 minutes.

Stir in rice. Cover. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.

Makes 4 servings

rkoloms
    by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Linguine with Calm Sauce
    4 oz. (1/2 pack) tempeh, (freeze the balance to use another time)
    1 tbl olive oil
    1/2 sm. onion finely chopped
    1 crushed garlic clove
    1/2 heaping tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    quick small splash lemon juice
    5 tbls. water
    Parmesan
    Boil 4-6 ozs. linguine, al dente. While pasta is cooking make sauce. Steam tempeh 15 minutes.  Place in bowl and crumble with a fork, set aside. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil.  Add water and when almost boiling add Old Bay Seasoning, tempeh, black pepper and a spash of lemon juice.  Turn heat down to low, stir to heat through for a few minutes. Take pasta and toss with a small amount of olive oil,add sauce mixture and Parmesan and toss to coat.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)