Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tiramisu

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM
  • 32 Replies

i just made tiramisu for the very first time today. i was really nervous because it seems pretty fancy. but surprisingly enough it was really easy. a lot of steps to it but all in all very simple. and best thing was no baking involved. my husband loved it and hes already asking me to make it again next week. that makes it all worth it. i love to make food that my family enjoys there's no better feeling. wanted to share the recipe. i will post a picture later.

• 4 egg yolks
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cups mascarpone cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 20 -24 ladyfingers
  • 1/2 cup cold espresso
  • 1/4 cup Kahlua
  • 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
  • Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring it to a boil over medium/high heat, then reduce the heat so that the water is simmering. Whisk egg yolks, milk and sugar together in a medium metal bowl, then place the bowl on top of the saucepan. Stir the mixture often for 8 to 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Remove the bowl from the heat, and to it add the 2 cups of mascarpone cheese and the vanilla. Whisk the cheese until it smooths out.  In a separate bowl, whip the cream with an electric mixer until thick. Slowly fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture until it's completely incorporated, but don't over mix or it will lose its fluff and flatten out. Combine the espresso and Kahlua in a large, shallow bowl. One-by-one, quickly dip each ladyfinger in the espresso. The ladyfinger will soak up the espresso like a sponge, so dip quickly. Arrange half of the dipped ladyfingers side-by-side on the bottom of an 8 x 8 inch serving dish or baking pan. Spoon about half of the cheese mixture over the ladyfingers, then add another layer of soaked ladyfingers on top of the cheese mixture. Spoon the remaining cheese mixture over the second layer of ladyfingers and spread it evenly.  Put two t. of cocoa powder in a tight-mesh strainer and gently tap the side of the strainer to add an even dusting of cocoa powder over the top of the dessert. Cover and chill for several hours. To serve, slice the dessert twice across and down creating 9 even portions.

by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    jessicasmom1
    by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM

this sounds good thank you

matheson7
    by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Yummy.

Dakee
    by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Oh, OH, OH!!  I have been craving this BAD!!  We don't live close to anywhere that serves it, and I'm the only one in my family who likes it!  I will print this out!

La-Belle-Vie
    by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    Mmmm! I have never made this but I do order it for dessert when we go out.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Mom2Kylie2708
    by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Was the mascarpone cheese you found super expensive? this sounds sooo yummy! I cant find it decently priced anywhere!

AlL_eYeS_oN_mE
    by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 9:10 PM

the brand i got was called "cello", it came in a 16 oz container which equalled the 2 cups perfectly. the container was $3.99. i have seen smaller ones going for the same price so i didnt mind paying it, plus since i had most of the other ingredients already on hand it was pretty much one of the only things i needed to buy. i liked the quality of it too.

Quoting Mom2Kylie2708:

Was the mascarpone cheese you found super expensive? this sounds sooo yummy! I cant find it decently priced anywhere!

Kristine316
    by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 9:49 PM

mmm. I'll try it.

SweetLuci
    by Luci on Apr. 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Good for you! Tiramisu is the most popular dessert in restaaurants, and it can be really good. It's so gsatisfying to be able to make a recipe that you thought would be hard, and have it turn out really well. The directions on this recipe are great. Now that you've made it once, I bet it becomes your signature dessert!

Terri441
    by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    The only time I've tried tiramisu was in Paris. Strangely enough I didn't like it. How can you not like tiramisu in Paris??? I'm defective.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Terri441
    by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    With that said maybe I'll like it in Canada so I should give it a try. :)
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)