Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Do you meal plan for a week or more in advance?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 3:22 PM
  • 18 Replies

I really should be doing this!  I shop the sales, so I always have food on hand, but it seems like every afternoon I am thinking "hmmmm, what am I going to fix tonight??"

We also have very hectic schedules, so honestly having a plan for at least the week makes perfect sense.

Advice?

Join us on:

by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarahjones79
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I always plan our meals at least a week in advance.  It makes grocery shopping so much easier and I know what we are having for supper everyday!  I can get meals prepped and made ahead of time.  Our schedules are busy as well so having everything set is such a life saver!!

katiebug840204
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM
I plan a week in advance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andrea96
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I plan a week at a time, usually Saturday through Friday. Well, my goal is to plan a week at a time.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 3, 2011 at 3:39 PM

You know me...I plan anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks at a time, usually however long I go between shopping trips.

The_Doodle
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I plan in the sense that I get enough meals to last until our next paycheck. I also plan with my WIC vouchers, i.e., the week I get beans is lentils tacos, the week I get veggies is veggie lasagna.

Here is my advice and it's been pretty handy:

-Leave a notebook out at all times to list dinners on it. If you or hubby (or kids if they're big enough) are jonesin for a certain type of dinner, write it in a list. If there is enough ideas (and feel free to just write down some easy/fast meals as well), pick some that have a simliar ingredient (chicken, for example) so you can buy a bigger amount and save some money. This is also good with hectic schedules because hubby can still have an opinion on some meals even if he's not there.

-Get a range of difficulty with meals. Have a few made from scratch, a few that are semi-fast, and some that doesn't even require meat to thaw.

-Always have basics on hand that you will definitely use before it goes bad. For example, I always have some sort of pasta, milk, cornstarch, and cheese. So, if push comes to shove, I can make a homemade cheese sauce with pasta for dinner. Plus, they are basics that if I keep on hand, I won't have to buy every single week.

August07Mom
by Tiesha on Oct. 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I plan for two weeks at a time.

Terri441
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 4:31 PM
I do 2 weeks at a time but if I were you I'd do a week a couple times and see if you find it really helpful (insure you will though)
I plan a crockpot dinner for my daughters dance days.
Other than that I do 2 or 3 chicken meals. 1 red meat, and 2 or 3 vegetarian meals per week and plan for a day of leftovers.
I've made a list of meals that go over well and always try a bit of new stuff to add to it so we're not repeating. That makes meal planning and grocery shopping easier.
I also take an inventory of my pantry and freezer so I can know what I have to draw from when I'm making my grocery list. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyGiftsFromGod
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM
I do my shopping on Friday nights. Sometimes that has to be moved to Saturday night, but that's okay. I always have my meal plan for the next week made by Friday. I am usually working on my list for two weeks out, but I might be making changes for the closest upcoming list up until the Friday I shop. I base it on making sure we have variety in meats, veggies, and ethnicities. Then I might switch things around before my shopping day depending on when I MUST use a crock pot because of somewhere we have to go, or based on company we have invited over, and the quantity and time involved in that. I take my inventory by Friday, add everything up that needs to go with each meal, and get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TwinSoccerMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM

I generally do at least a week in advance.  We are pretty busy especially this time of year so I plan my meals based on what we have going on and how much time I have to cook.  I use my crockpot a lot also since I often don't have a lot of time to prepare a meal and don't want to eat out.  I also add a couple of quick extra meals in case our schedule unexpectedly changes and I need to make a quicker meal than originally planned.

jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I do it weekly, but think more about the second week as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN