Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with PLANNING

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 4:16 PM
  • 16 Replies

Ohkay so I've seen some post with moms who plan out each meal Breakfast Lunch and Dinner

Since becomming a mom I'm on a budget and need meal plans that are inexpensive can you sugesst meal plans that maybe use left overs or you have to buy one ingredient that can be used in two dishes.

So basically does anyone have budgeted meal plans ideas that are simple to make. I have a 4 week old so I have time to cook just not alot :)

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 12, 2011 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Buy one whole chicken.  Roast it.  Serve the leg quarters for dinner with baked potatoes and peas & carrots.  Cube the breasts and use them in chicken & rice casserole with broccoli/cauliflower veggies mix.  Take the rest of the chicken and boil it in seasoned water, then remove the rest of the meat and add it back to the water along with diced onion, sliced celery, sliced carrots, maybe peas, and make chicken stew with dumplings.  The stew is very easy to make, especially if you have a crockpot.

Make a meatloaf.  Use the leftovers as crumbled meat in spaghetti sauce or in taco soup.

Oryon_andMe
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM

BUMP!

RADmomma
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Michiganmom gave a great idea... I love getting a whole chicken & using the left overs for either a soup or cassarole. I also add left over chicken to pasta sauce to change it up. The other night I browned some chicken on the stove top with some onion & green/red peppers.. then mixed it in with my garden veggie sauce, poured it over spaghetti , put it in a glass cassarole dish, sprinkled shredded cheese & mixed. then topped with a little bread crumbs then baked at 350 for a few minutes... Just because we get sick of the same out spaghetti... it was SO yummy!!!

Plus I try to use my crock pot for as much cooking as possible. cooks all day and gives me time for everything else I have to do!! I am not the greatest at meal planning though. I am working on it!!

Terri441
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM

I love getting the whole chicken and using it a few different ways. Then making broth from the carcass and freezing it for later or using it up right away too.
When I'm trying to stick to a rigid budget I end up using lentils and beans a lot and halving the amount of meat i use. The lentils seem to fill the meat 'void' and are decently inexpensive.
I also like to use the crock pot a lot which frees up a lot of time in my day.
AND I will (if I'm making chili, or other freezable meals) make twice the amount and freeze half for next month. I love having a few meals in the freezer for those days when I just CAN'T get to making supper.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Oct. 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM
Great ideas!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Buy one whole chicken.  Roast it.  Serve the leg quarters for dinner with baked potatoes and peas & carrots.  Cube the breasts and use them in chicken & rice casserole with broccoli/cauliflower veggies mix.  Take the rest of the chicken and boil it in seasoned water, then remove the rest of the meat and add it back to the water along with diced onion, sliced celery, sliced carrots, maybe peas, and make chicken stew with dumplings.  The stew is very easy to make, especially if you have a crockpot.

Make a meatloaf.  Use the leftovers as crumbled meat in spaghetti sauce or in taco soup.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Oct. 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM
I like to do pork in the crockpot then I use some for BBQ sandwiches or salads and some for chile verde (add green enchilada sauce and serve over rive and tortillas).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pigtail
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Love your suggestions!

Oryon_andMe
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Quoting Terri441:

I love getting the whole chicken and using it a few different ways. Then making broth from the carcass and freezing it for later or using it up right away too.
When I'm trying to stick to a rigid budget I end up using lentils and beans a lot and halving the amount of meat i use. The lentils seem to fill the meat 'void' and are decently inexpensive.
I also like to use the crock pot a lot which frees up a lot of time in my day.
AND I will (if I'm making chili, or other freezable meals) make twice the amount and freeze half for next month. I love having a few meals in the freezer for those days when I just CAN'T get to making supper.

Thats  very good idea to save it when you cant make dinner. :)

Thanks everyone!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 13, 2011 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Quick addition:

Make a huge pot of chili.  Divide into 3 or 4 portions...if 4 then you can eat one for dinner.  With the other 3:  mix one with cooked elbox mac & add a bit of cheese for chili mac.  Serve another portion over baked potatoes and add salad for a side.  With the last, spread over hotdogs that are wrapped in tortillas in a baking dish.  Top with cheese and bake for chili dog casserole.

Oryon_andMe
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 4:35 PM

you have great ideas michigan mom thanks alot! possible you have anymore? thanks so much!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)