Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

its the family joke.  I can cook anything & its awesome but every year I screw up the yam casserole. To much liquid, to dry, burnt marshmallows, marshmallows that refuse to toast up!

HELP!!

what do you do?

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
Flaca43
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I make sweet potato casserole...sorry. But it might come out fine this way too...

After you boil and mash them, mix them up with some butter and brown sugar. Put them in a casserole dish, top with marshmallows and put in the oven. Easy. Keep an eye on it if you are feeling uneasy about it.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Quoting grey7399:

its the family joke.  I can cook anything & its awesome but every year I screw up the yam casserole. To much liquid, to dry, burnt marshmallows, marshmallows that refuse to toast up! 

HELP!!

what do you do?

What liquid are you putting in? To dry...what did you leave out?

I cook the sweet potatoes a few days ahead, drain & cool, refrigerate. When you are ready to prepare the casserole, heat the potatoes in the microwave. Use a whipped cream cheese that has honey & cinnamon. Mix and use less marshmallows. (they will burn if they are crowded ... they will not toast if there is too much steam in the casserole.)

Don't make them the same every time and make a smaller casserole. An 8x8 will cook better than a 9x13. If you think you need more, make two recipes and don't double one.

(Sometimes I put fruit in mine - like cherries and sometimes I make the Florida Sunshine with lemon. Just depends on what we have and the weather. This year I am making yam-slaw...tasty with turkey sandwiches and better than sweet potato relish.)

Gardeningmom4
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 6:26 PM

How do you make yam slaw?

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting grey7399:

HELP!!

what do you do?

I cook the sweet potatoes a few days ahead, drain & cool, refrigerate. When you are ready to prepare the casserole, heat the potatoes in the microwave. Use a whipped cream cheese that has honey & cinnamon. Mix and use less marshmallows. (they will burn if they are crowded ... they will not toast if there is too much steam in the casserole.)

Don't make them the same every time and make a smaller casserole. An 8x8 will cook better than a 9x13. If you think you need more, make two recipes and don't double one.

(Sometimes I put fruit in mine - like cherries and sometimes I make the Florida Sunshine with lemon. Just depends on what we have and the weather. This year I am making yam-slaw...tasty with turkey sandwiches and better than sweet potato relish.)

grey7399
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM

awwwwww! granny!  If I knew it I would but I do know some stuff...

he used 4 - 6 of the largest canned yams

brown sugar

cinnamon

didn't mash them

marshmallows

Quoting Granny1952:

Post your dad's recipe? That might help us.

Quoting grey7399:

keep 'em coming guys!  Someone out there makes 'em just like my dad used to.

WillTimsMom comes the closest.  Thanks for trying guys!

Granny1952
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Drain the yams, place in pan. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together, and cut the butter in like you do for pie crust. Sprinkle this over the yams. Top with mini marshmellows.  Hope this helps. Let me know if it ends up close to your dad's.

Quoting grey7399:

brown sugar

cinnamon

didn't mash them

marshmallows

Quoting Granny1952:

Quoting grey7399:

La-Belle-Vie
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:18 AM
I've never made it before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
La-Belle-Vie
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:19 AM
Great advice

Quoting Granny1952:

Drain the yams, place in pan. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together, and cut the butter in like you do for pie crust. Sprinkle this over the yams. Top with mini marshmellows.  Hope this helps. Let me know if it ends up close to your dad's.

Quoting grey7399:

brown sugar

cinnamon

didn't mash them

marshmallows

Quoting Granny1952:

Quoting grey7399:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Quoting Gardeningmom4:

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting grey7399:

HELP!!

what do you do?

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cups shredded peeled uncooked sweet potatoes
  • 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
  • 3/4 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions

• In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients until smooth. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, apple, pineapple and pecans. Add dressing; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 6-8 servings.
  • http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Sweet-Potato-Slaw

syndell58
    by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM

i take a grahm cracker crust, i can of yams sliced, 1 can of apple pie filling and one can of another pie filling. It doesnt matter on the fillings. layer all three in pie crust and bake till warm.

Gardeningmom4
    by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM

That sounds so good.Yummy.

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting Gardeningmom4:

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting grey7399:

HELP!!

what do you do?

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
    • 1/2 cup sour cream
    • 2 tablespoons honey
    • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 3 cups shredded peeled uncooked sweet potatoes
    • 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
    • 3/4 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
    • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions

• In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients until smooth. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, apple, pineapple and pecans. Add dressing; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 6-8 servings.
    • http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Sweet-Potato-Slaw

Add your quick reply below:
      You must be a member to reply to this post.
      Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
      Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
      other members!
      Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN