Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Six to Eight Small Meals Daily

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone here plan for 6 to 8 family meals every day?

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
Kelly913
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM

My experience is opposite this.  I used to not be able to eat very much at a meal, even though I felt super hungry.  I'd eat a small amount and feel full, but I'd be hungry again within a couple of hours.  People thought I ate a lot because I was eating frequently-but when I'd keep a record I was actually eating less than people I knew. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

No.  Eating that often screws with leptins (the appetite enzymes.)  So many people don't get that "I'm full" feeling until they're way past the amount of food they needed to eat to feed their bodies.  By eating 3 or fewer meals a day, with a small snack if needed, leptins are allowed to reset.

I'd be in the kitchen 24 hours a day if I planned that many family meals each day!

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Kelly913
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

To answer your question Dissie-not a chance, lol!  It's enough work to prepare three! 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Quoting Alieda:

As a diabetes patient I am to have 3meals and 3 small snack a day to try to keep my sugar level even

I'm also diabetic, and I have 2, maybe 3 meals a day to keep my sugar level LOW.  We're all different  LOL

Kelly913
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I was thinner when I ate several small meals or snacks a day.  I don't know which came first though, the extra weight or the fewer but larger meals.

Quoting MyGiftsFromGod:

I've never studied the topic, but that's something I could believe. I don't know if I'm just justifying that because that's the way I eat. LOL. It appears to me that that eating that frequently is unnatural, and people who snack a lot have trained themselves to do that, and they end up needing it. I do not encourage my children to snack, but to eat enough at meals that they don't need to. But sometimes they do need it, as they are very active. Hey, what do you think of this theory. I think that not eating very often actually makes the body more energy efficient. I eat one, maybe two meals a day, and I'm the only chubby one in the family. The nine children eat much more frequently, and are very lean and muscular, without restricted quantity on the food we eat. Too bad being energy efficient isn't something to cheer about in humans like it is in cars or furnaces! My blood pressure and cholesterol are really great, even exceptional for blood pressure, and I'm not close to obese, but definitely chubby.

Quoting michiganmom116:

No.  Eating that often screws with leptins (the appetite enzymes.)  So many people don't get that "I'm full" feeling until they're way past the amount of food they needed to eat to feed their bodies.  By eating 3 or fewer meals a day, with a small snack if needed, leptins are allowed to reset.

I'd be in the kitchen 24 hours a day if I planned that many family meals each day!

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I've found that when I haven't had enough fat or protein, I get hungry sooner.  I mean famished hungry, not low-blood-sugar-hungry.  My DH snacks constantly and the thought of skipping a meal terrifies him "because what if I get hungry?"  I tell him LOOK:  you just fed your body a couple of hours ago.  You CANNOT be starving.  The hunger he feels is because  he won't let his leptins reset, not because he actually needs to feed his body.

Because you weren't able to eat much at a time, your body actually needed the food.  With many people, that is not the case.  Hunger has become a psychological thing for many, not a physiological symptom.

Quoting Kelly913:

My experience is opposite this.  I used to not be able to eat very much at a meal, even though I felt super hungry.  I'd eat a small amount and feel full, but I'd be hungry again within a couple of hours.  People thought I ate a lot because I was eating frequently-but when I'd keep a record I was actually eating less than people I knew. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Kelly913
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Definately! 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've found that when I haven't had enough fat or protein, I get hungry sooner.  I mean famished hungry, not low-blood-sugar-hungry.  My DH snacks constantly and the thought of skipping a meal terrifies him "because what if I get hungry?"  I tell him LOOK:  you just fed your body a couple of hours ago.  You CANNOT be starving.  The hunger he feels is because  he won't let his leptins reset, not because he actually needs to feed his body.

Because you weren't able to eat much at a time, your body actually needed the food.  With many people, that is not the case.  Hunger has become a psychological thing for many, not a physiological symptom.

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Terri441
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I don't. We have breakfast, lunch, and supper but I do have 2 snacks for the kids. One when schools over and one at about 10am and sometimes a little something at bedtime.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Feb. 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM
I do three smaller meals and snacks for DD and I.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Kylie2708
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Not me :/
matheson7
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

No I don't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)