Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Do you ever let your kids have breakfast in front of the TV?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM
  • 17 Replies

4 Times Breakfast in Front of the Television Is OK

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on February 27, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Eating food in front of the television gets a bad rap. And for good reason. Teaching children good eating habits usually involves mindful eating and the television makes that impossible. Of course, this fact makes eating in front of the TV the holy grail of special treats.

My children who are 3.5 and 5 get ridiculously excited when we do family pizza and movie night. It usually involves a movie we all want to see, a large pizza, and many laughs. Sure, it isn't something I would do every day and for every meal, but as a special treat, my kids love it. And so do I.

Breakfast, on the other hand, is another story. It's the most important meal of the day and one I really want my kids to eat well. Additionally, we are almost always pressed for time in the morning, so a TV show is pretty much out of the question. Still, there are times TV and breakfast go hand in hand. These include:

• When one child wakes up super early: Most mornings my kids are late sleepers, but there are the occasional 5:30 a.m. wake-up calls for no reason. This is a great time to pull up a movie for the kiddos, slap a couple waffles in the toaster, and let them eat and watch TV while mom and dad finish snoozing. 
  • When mom and dad (or child) is sick: There are few feelings worse than knowing you are ill and are going to have to care for a needy toddler by yourself all day when all you want to do is sleep it off. In this scenario, which shouldn't happen too often, the television is your best friend.
  • Weekend mornings: Remember weekend mornings spent reading the paper or a book all leisurely in the bed? You can have them back if you let the kids have an occasional breakfast with Caillou on Saturday morning. It's nostalgic, too. Who didn't love Saturday morning cartoons and eat many a Pop Tart that way? We may no longer feed our kids like that, but there is no reason they can't have an organic yogurt while watching PBS, right?
  • Mornings when mom needs to look good: When mom (or dad) has an early meeting and needs to actually shower/shave/look presentable, there are few better times to let the kids have their breakfast with the television. They are happy and you are dressed. It's a win-win.

The thing about parenting is we have all these rules, and sure, eating breakfast in front of the TV is generally a bad idea. But on occasion, it can be your best pal. Never say never!

Do you ever let your kids have breakfast in front of the TV?

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM

They HAVE had breakfast in front of the TV but it's not something I encourage.

starlight1968
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Yes, the table we eat at is in the livingroom in front of the tv, it's such a small apartment... She doesn't eat any different

Kelly913
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Only if he's sick.  If he has any screen time in the morning he's bonkers the rest of the day. 

August07Mom
by Tiesha on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Not in front of it, but you can see the tv from our dining room.

TwinSoccerMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM

We eat breakfast together every weekday while watching the news. So yes, we do eat breakfast in front of the tv.  But mine are 13 now and not little kids and they do not eat a meal alone in front of the tv.

Emily2146
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Quoting starlight1968:

Yes, the table we eat at is in the livingroom in front of the tv, it's such a small apartment... She doesn't eat any different

andrea96
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM

They always eat breakfast at the kitchen table when we're home. Sometimes the tv is on, and you can see the tv from the kitchen table.

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM
No we really eat breakfast on the go most of the time, not sure if that is any better, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM

DH is serious about no tv when we have meals-and he used to work in tv. lol He's big on meals being a quiet time, with pleasant conversation. We can see the tv from the table, so it gets turned off. And there are no snacks unless it's at the table. Every once in awhile we'll have a movie nightm, and then we do popcorn in front of the tv, and it makes it special because it's unusual. I see nothing wrong with occasionally having a meal with the tv on-like mentioned above, and we sometimes have it on for special weather reports, or an important news program, but then we turn it off and talk about what was said.

Terri441
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM

really rarely I do. especially if I'm trying to get something done and don't want any interruptions...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)