Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Lots of cilantro-what to do?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM
  • 25 Replies

I received a HUGE bunch of cilantro in my delivery of farm fresh produce today. Other than salsa, how do you use cilantro?

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlL_eYeS_oN_mE
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Guacamole?
I would make sofrito. Which is a blend of cilantro, peppers, onions, garlic and such. My husband is puerto rican and I use it a lot in the food I make.
Momforhealth
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM
3 moms liked this

You can chop it up and fill ice cube trays with it.  Pour a little water in and freeze then.  Each cube is a tsp.  once frozen store in freezer bags.

oredeb
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM

you can make a pesto out of it, i found this recipe online a few years ago, we like it!

Celantro pesto

Unlike basil pesto, this pesto requires no Parmesan or garlic. The complementary flavors are red onion and serrano chile instead. Also, almonds are used instead of pine nuts. Almonds seem to enhance the flavor of the cilantro, rather than compete with it. Use with pasta, as a filling, or with chicken in tacos. Some of this batch got mixed in with some cottage cheese for a delicious tortilla chip dip.

2 cups, packed, of cilantro, large stems removed
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon chopped and seeded serrano chile
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil

In a food processor, pulse the cilantro, almonds, onion, chile, and salt until well blended. With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream.

Add more oil as needed for your use.

Makes about 1 cup.

mommy2bRN007
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Salsa? I'm no help I don't care for cilantro
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Thanks. I love sofrito but haven't made it in a long time.

Quoting AlL_eYeS_oN_mE:

Guacamole?
I would make sofrito. Which is a blend of cilantro, peppers, onions, garlic and such. My husband is puerto rican and I use it a lot in the food I make.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I do freeze herbs sometimes, but I didn't think of that. Thanks.

Quoting Momforhealth:

You can chop it up and fill ice cube trays with it.  Pour a little water in and freeze then.  Each cube is a tsp.  once frozen store in freezer bags.

Connie127
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM
bump

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM

That sounds good. Thanks.

Quoting oredeb:

you can make a pesto out of it, i found this recipe online a few years ago, we like it!

Celantro pesto

Unlike basil pesto, this pesto requires no Parmesan or garlic. The complementary flavors are red onion and serrano chile instead. Also, almonds are used instead of pine nuts. Almonds seem to enhance the flavor of the cilantro, rather than compete with it. Use with pasta, as a filling, or with chicken in tacos. Some of this batch got mixed in with some cottage cheese for a delicious tortilla chip dip.

2 cups, packed, of cilantro, large stems removed
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon chopped and seeded serrano chile
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil

In a food processor, pulse the cilantro, almonds, onion, chile, and salt until well blended. With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream.

Add more oil as needed for your use.

Makes about 1 cup.

jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

pesto, salsa, Mexican fajitas, freeze some for later,  is all I know what to make with it .. 

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Cilantro is the same as coriander (if you use coriander - you can use cilantro in place of it.).

Use cilantro (fresh or dried) in place of basil for a change from same old same. It perks up good flavor in rice recipes.

I use it in some spicy foods instead of jalapenos ... not everyone is comfortable with jalapenos :)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)