Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lots of cilantro-what to do?

Posted by   + Show Post

I received a HUGE bunch of cilantro in my delivery of farm fresh produce today. Other than salsa, how do you use cilantro?

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Replies (11-20):
mom-to-3-kids
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

salsa, guacamole, add it to rice (or beans). I love cilantro, lol. There are lots of ways to use cilantro.

Terri441
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM

i have quite a few recipes that call for it. We use it a lot. I've put it in with a honey glazed chicken recipe, there's a sole fillets recipe I use it in that's mostly citrus juices and butter and the throw cilantro on top later.
Definitely salsa, nachos, guacamole with cilantro is IMO fantastic.
You can also chop it up and put it in ice cube trays with a bit of water and freeze the cubes to use in stuff later.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Never woulda thought of that!

Quoting Momforhealth:

You can chop it up and fill ice cube trays with it.  Pour a little water in and freeze then.  Each cube is a tsp.  once frozen store in freezer bags.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM
YUM!!!

Quoting oredeb:

you can make a pesto out of it, i found this recipe online a few years ago, we like it!

Celantro pesto

Unlike basil pesto, this pesto requires no Parmesan or garlic. The complementary flavors are red onion and serrano chile instead. Also, almonds are used instead of pine nuts. Almonds seem to enhance the flavor of the cilantro, rather than compete with it. Use with pasta, as a filling, or with chicken in tacos. Some of this batch got mixed in with some cottage cheese for a delicious tortilla chip dip.

2 cups, packed, of cilantro, large stems removed
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon chopped and seeded serrano chile
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil

In a food processor, pulse the cilantro, almonds, onion, chile, and salt until well blended. With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream.

Add more oil as needed for your use.

Makes about 1 cup.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Terri441
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I can happily chew the stems and leaves raw though,
And I might add I throw LOTS of it in green salad. I almost always add cilantro to my salad
Did you know that cilantro is one of the only herbs that will start a person detoxing mercury, and I think a couple other heavy metals but mercury for sure.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM
I just eat it. Lol! I love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Terri441
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

terrific idea.

Quoting oredeb:

you can make a pesto out of it, i found this recipe online a few years ago, we like it!

Celantro pesto

Unlike basil pesto, this pesto requires no Parmesan or garlic. The complementary flavors are red onion and serrano chile instead. Also, almonds are used instead of pine nuts. Almonds seem to enhance the flavor of the cilantro, rather than compete with it. Use with pasta, as a filling, or with chicken in tacos. Some of this batch got mixed in with some cottage cheese for a delicious tortilla chip dip.

2 cups, packed, of cilantro, large stems removed
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon chopped and seeded serrano chile
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil

In a food processor, pulse the cilantro, almonds, onion, chile, and salt until well blended. With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream.

Add more oil as needed for your use.

Makes about 1 cup.

oredeb
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM

i use it in this recipe chinese chicken salad

hmoran84
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM

i put it in my omletts, spaghetti,

matheson7
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I would look up recipes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)