Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

1 thing i've learned about using a slow cooker

Posted by   + Show Post
Ever since i've joined this group i've started using my slow cooker for something other than keeping my husbands BBQ Fajitas warm. I've loved cooking my dinners in it. I use it once maybe twice a week. But one thing i've learned is that YOU NEED TO BE PREPARED WHEN YOUR GOING TO COOK A MEAL IN IT. I've Had to juggle around a few meals due to not being prepared. I've read the crock pot tips and one is do your chopping and whatever else you Can do the night before to make it easier on you for the next day. I wanted to make a crock pot meaty italian spaghetti sauce that required 10hrs on low. By the time I got my baby settled to play this morning it was already too late to start the crock pot dinner unless I wanted my family eating at 7. Which I don't cuz that's too late for my Sks. I'm still learning. . .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Replies (31-33):
andrea96
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM

They will eat them in spaghetti sauce and things they don't realize. But, I don't want ground up veggies in stew or with pot roast. My son is picky about meat, too. He would live on crescent rolls if I let him; he's even picky about rolls.

Quoting jessicasmom1:

I would grind up those vegetables Andrea, where they can't see them  but put in spaghetti or tomato type meals, white vegetables in Alfredo sauce .... if they can't see them , I don't think it would hurt them.

Quoting andrea96:

My kids, ok my daughter (and her younger brother copies her), don't like vegetables. So, anything like stew or soup with vegetables, they refuse to eat. They would rather go to bed without dinner than let one bite pass their lips.

Quoting MyGiftsFromGod:

Have you tried adapting what you make that they like on the stove or in the oven? I use my crockpots all the time, but if you didn't know it came out of a crockpot you might not believe it. We cannot stand bland, prefab foods, and most crockpot recipes that were made just for crockpots are like that. The vast majority of them use cans of soup, and I don't keep things like that in my house. I do everything from scratch, even anything I put in the crockpot, and my family loves it all.

Quoting Marti123:

I ditto this. I don't know if we are a picky family or what but a majority of our slow cooker meals are just so so. And anything besides roast just gets dried to oblivion.

Quoting andrea96:

I have one. But, even switching to warm, it overcooks. I'm going to try without the liners sometime, but my kids pretty much refuse to eat anything out of the crock pot, so I don't use it often.

Quoting SweetLuci:

You need to put a programmable crockpot on your wish list. That way you set it for a certain number of hours, then it switches to keep warm setting.

Quoting andrea96:

I always do my prep work the night before, so that I just have to dump it in before I leave for work. I have trouble with mine overcooking since I start mine around 7 AM, but I think that may be due to using liners.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Apr. 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM
That's what I'd do, too.

Quoting michiganmom116:

You could still make it.  Cook on high for a few hours, then turn to low instead of cooking on low all day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sassymomntx1961
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Ive got boneless pork in my cp right now.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN