Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Do you cook like you mother did?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM
  • 38 Replies
They say we become our mothers. Have you in the kitchen?

Do you cook similar meals as what you ate growing up? Why or why not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matheson7
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:23 PM

No, my mother is a great cook, but I make more chicken than she did. My dad didn't like it so we didn't have it much.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 10, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I cook from scratch, like my mom did, but we have a different diet now than what we did when I was growing up...so, no.

rebeccasmly
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 11:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Nope. My mom hated cooking and did it out of the box. I cook mainly from scratch. In fact, I did hamburger helper tonight because we're moving and there was also a baseball game. I figured I would do something easy and quick but I almost burnt it. I do much better when cooking from scratch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:49 AM

No way.  Mama was not the best cook.  She was born during the depression era, her idea of dinner was a little creamed tuna on a piece of toast or some ground beef on a scoop of potatoes. 

Growing up she was lucky to get milk and crackers for dinner.  Dad always talked about him getting a turnip for dinner.  NOT good years for mastering culinary skills. 

La-Belle-Vie
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:38 AM
No, at least I don't think so.
My dad cooked more than my mom did.
My mom cooked the same thing... Spaghetti or roast. Now I hardly ever eat either.
She way over peppers things and over spices too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TwinSoccerMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM

On some things yes, but not really.  She did not like to cook but did it out of necessity and didn't tend to get very creative.  She stuck to many of the same things.  Although they were always really good.  She did one heck of an awesome big meal though (like for holidays).  I did not learn from her due to lack of interest and then regretted it when I got out on my own and now she has long since passed away.  For a long time I didn't enjoy cooking either but now I do and I like trying new things.  I am much more experimental then she ever was.  I also use my crockpot a lot.  She only used hers for chili a few times a year.

Strega
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

No. My Mother wasn't a Cook (Unless you count Sloppy Joes, which I do not.. Bleh!). I was taught everything by and cook like my Grandmother.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

christi34
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:36 AM
When growing up my aunt did the cooking. Mom really can't cook a meal. I actually cook better than my mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebug840204
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:41 AM
I learned to cook from my grandma and my mom. So i think I cook a little like both of them did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:55 AM

NO!! my Mother was a great cook but,, I married a chef when I got older and I looked back at the blackened steaks, or the well done burgers she would cook our food until she knew it was dead lol . I stopped eating that stuff at about 16 years old, don't get me wrong here I make some of our family known meals like chicken and dumplings, or paprika chicken, pot roast, Haluski  just my way now I cook from scratch...  Got married when I was 19 and changed our way of eating for the better , still to this day I follow a lot of DH'S meals or ways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN