Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Do you or don't you garden?

What has been your experience with it?

Do you feel it saves you money or not, and why?

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Replies (11-14):
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Yes, we garden.

My experience is mixed. 5 years ago my DF, now my DH wanted to grow a garden. I was less than enthused. My dad is a farmer. I work a lot, and i knew from growing up around it, gardening takes a lot of time! But now that I have children, it is fun family hobby.

We do not save any money. We live in an area that is ALL clay, so just preparing soil was and remains a chore. We also live a suburb with a homeowners association and rules. We have incorporated things into landscaping with garden boxes. We had to get a specific type of composter. We have rabbits to deal with and cannot shoot them, so that is money for decorative rabbit proof fences. And we do not have the real estate for melons, many squash or any large viney vegetables.

We do grow a large herb garden.
Potted lemon tree
Rainbow Swiss chard
Bull's blood beet greens
Beets
Radishes
Lettuce spring mix, butter Bibb, red leaf,
Baby bok Choy
Italian kale
Leeks
Shallots
Carrots
Fennel
2 summer squash, green & yellow
Fava beans
More beans
Lots of peppers, classic bell, jalapeƱo, sweet yellow, pimento, italian, banana, and a couple more,
Tomatoes
Aspargrus, although it is a slow process
Blueberries, 5 bushes that feed the birds, lol!!

I am hoping for a surplus year!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
La-Belle-Vie
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM
So far it hasn't saved us but we are still starting out.
We have had to put in garden boxes, fence, and all that. Not really necessary stuff like a watering system or rocks and such but still has cost us money to do that.
I'd love to sell our excess but there are 2 large produce carts right around the block people go to and they are cheap.
We've canned a few items but will be really doing that this year. I think in about 2 more years we should break even and start saving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:41 AM

we have a small strip of yard ... now when we lived elsewhere we had a huge garden..now I think it is getting smaller every year. This year it is tomatoes, zucchini, onions, lettuce( bib, bok Choy, leaf) , mild peppers, and broccoli.

matheson7
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:10 AM

No, but I would like to. I have helped my dad and in laws with theirs though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)