Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should the Paleo Diet Be Illegal?

Posted by   + Show Post

Should the Paleo Diet Be Illegal?

Posted by April Peveteaux on April 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM

paleo diet illegalAre you a fan of meat? Or just eating as if you lived like a caveman, which means, meat? Then perhaps you've been tempted to try the Paleo diet, which cuts out anything (most anything) that was not around during the time period pre-processed foods. On the surface, this sounds kind of good. Processed foods are the devil! Ditch processed foods!

Here's what else you have to avoid on the Paleo diet: Refined sugars, starchy vegetables like potatoes, grains, legumes, dairy, some oils, and some people cut out alcohol. So we're kind of talking about the Atkins diet but with even more restrictions.

Personally, I couldn't do it but I know people who have and they seem to love it. Like this blogger and diabetic, Steve Cooksey who is being threatened with jail time for advocating the Paleo way of life. Seems like an extreme reaction to a diet you don't like, right?

But apparently the State Board of Dietetics and Nutrition of North Carolina (where Cooksey lives) are super angry and saying that Cooksey is advocating a nutritional lifestyle that is just like "practicing nutrition without a license." Excuse me while I remove these recipes I posted about how to go Paleo.

Cooksey may be advocating that we all try the Paleo diet -- or at least those people who are using diet to control their diabetes -- but is that the same thing as following advice from a nutritionist? If a nutritionist told you to follow the Paleo diet would it also be illegal? I'm confused. Why so much hating on the Paleo? Was there this much anger over the South Beach Diet?

Again, I don't want to go on this diet particularly, but I hope you're not listening to me, or any other blog, when you decide what diet works best for you.  Reading a blog is not the same thing as going to a doctor. Just like when I tell you how to create a bridal shower menu, I'm not acting as a wedding planner or a caterer. So please keep that in mind when you enjoy the recipes. But you knew that already, right?

Do you think this guy should be sued for practicing nutrition without a license?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Replies (21-30):
La-Belle-Vie
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Amen!!! 👏

Quoting michiganmom116:

WTH ever happened to freedom of speech?  He is NOT practicing being a nutritionist without a license....and IF THAT IS THE CASE THEN EVERY VEGAN/VEGETARIAN/PALEO/LOW CARB/NATURAL/ATKINS/ZONE/WW/SBD BLOGGER SHOULD ALSO BE THREATENED WITH CRIMINAL CHARGES.

Ha.  Talk about taking on the world...NC State Board has no idea what they'll be faced with.  I personally think they're just a bit pissed off because THEIR "recommendations for a healthy diet" are NOT working like Steve's recommendations are.  They're losing business....and it all comes down to the almighty dollar.  I wonder who's backing the State Board?  Big Ag?  Big Pharma?  American Diabetes Association???  Dig a little.  You know damned well there's nothing wrong with eating clean, whole foods, and so do they.

I've read Steve's blog and visited his site.  He tells what he did when faced with his diagnosis of diabetes.  He tells of his results.  He encourages people that ask him for tips and encouragement.  I was one of othem.  He has repeatedly said and proven that this is NOT a cure for diabetes, but merely a way to control it without meds.  He does not dispense advice solely on diet but also on exercise.

Personally, I LOVE THIS DIET!  I eat better than I used to and I do NOT miss the sugars, the refined starches, the grains, the legumes that stunk up my house for days thanks to their effect on DH, or the dairy that was so freaking expensive.  I've lost a few pounds, I feel younger, I don't have PMS, my blood work results are practically perfect after a decade of fighting high cholesterol and hormone imbalances, and I LOVE the foods we get to eat!

Oh, and GET THIS STRAIGHT:  PALEO IS NOT EXCLUSIVE OF VEGGIES AND FRUITS!  NOT ALL PALEO DIETERS AVOID STARCHY TUBERS -- IN FACT, SWEET POTATOES ARE A BIG PART OF THE DIET!!!  ONLY THE LOW CARB PALEO DIETERS WATCH HOW MANY STARCHES THEY EAT!  NOT EVERYONE EXCLUDES DAIRY EITHER -- BUTTER AND CHEESE ARE OFTEN INCLUDED.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM
True, cult leaders often use dietary restrictions, but what does that have to do with advocating a diet you believe is right? I'm not sure how this fits with this article...?

Quoting DissieDothe:

Extreme food restrictions controls people and this was the strategy that worked for Jim Jones, Charles Manson, and Sun Myung Moon

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Lotta drama over nothing if you ask me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmly
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think he should be in trouble for promoting healthy eating. I read all the replies and then I went and did some research on this guy and the paleo diet. Nothing in what I read encouraged a "caveman-like" attitude. The reference to caveman is only in what they ate, which is what they could catch and what grew. There was nothing about how you should live your life outside of the encouragement to eat healthy. I agree that America is over-processed in what they eat. Many of the foods that come in boxes or frozen or anything else of that sort, has wreaked havoc on our bodies. They often possess more chemicals then actual food.

Let me give a personal example. I was raised on boxed dinners and such. My mom was not a cook, never claimed to be. My grandmother taught me a lot because I loved to cook. When I became a mother, I often resorted to processed foods for meals and such. Not because I didn't know how to cook but because they were cheaper, I should say I thought they were cheaper when in reality its cheaper to not use them, and because they were quicker. My 3rd son was born with several medical conditions, one that almost placed him on the transplant list as an infant. It was a very hectic time in my life but I was realizing that some of the chemicals in the processed crap were horrible and doing a lot of damage. When my son went into kidney failure a few years back, I knew I had to make some drastic changes. I stopped buying processed crap, I removed chemicals from our house. We started to live "clean" and eat "clean". My son's health completely changed. He is healthy, he is active, no major health problems since we started this clean living besides what they believe to be Valley Fever. All other medical conditions he has, have been managed and without medication. I will never return to living on processed foods. My son's health is all the proof I need that a diet such as the paleo diet is better then what a lot of people recommend.

Maybe the term "diet" is wrong to use. Maybe it should be called a lifestyle because it changes your life for the better. I would have believed it if I didn't witness it myself.

rebeccasmly
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, let me add real quick. My son's health conditions have actually improved dramatically if not have disappeared all together.

AmyG1976
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM

no in a free country ppl can choose the diet they want for themselves dont make my dinner illigal and I wont make yours lol. and no I would not do that diet but close I dont really do processed foods or refined sugars but to each his own .

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 7 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

Terri441
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I also ponder...how could they make the paleo diet illegal but not things like the hcg diet??

Terri441
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:56 PM

yay score one for success by healthy eating!!

Quoting rebeccasmly:

I don't think he should be in trouble for promoting healthy eating. I read all the replies and then I went and did some research on this guy and the paleo diet. Nothing in what I read encouraged a "caveman-like" attitude. The reference to caveman is only in what they ate, which is what they could catch and what grew. There was nothing about how you should live your life outside of the encouragement to eat healthy. I agree that America is over-processed in what they eat. Many of the foods that come in boxes or frozen or anything else of that sort, has wreaked havoc on our bodies. They often possess more chemicals then actual food.

Let me give a personal example. I was raised on boxed dinners and such. My mom was not a cook, never claimed to be. My grandmother taught me a lot because I loved to cook. When I became a mother, I often resorted to processed foods for meals and such. Not because I didn't know how to cook but because they were cheaper, I should say I thought they were cheaper when in reality its cheaper to not use them, and because they were quicker. My 3rd son was born with several medical conditions, one that almost placed him on the transplant list as an infant. It was a very hectic time in my life but I was realizing that some of the chemicals in the processed crap were horrible and doing a lot of damage. When my son went into kidney failure a few years back, I knew I had to make some drastic changes. I stopped buying processed crap, I removed chemicals from our house. We started to live "clean" and eat "clean". My son's health completely changed. He is healthy, he is active, no major health problems since we started this clean living besides what they believe to be Valley Fever. All other medical conditions he has, have been managed and without medication. I will never return to living on processed foods. My son's health is all the proof I need that a diet such as the paleo diet is better then what a lot of people recommend.

Maybe the term "diet" is wrong to use. Maybe it should be called a lifestyle because it changes your life for the better. I would have believed it if I didn't witness it myself.

chrissysnow22
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM
That's jut dumb! Thats why we live in America freedom!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)